Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dboff01
Level 7

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Roku Streaming Stick+ Model: 3810RW
Software Version 9.0.0 build 4072-50 (upgraded 11/19/18)
Serial No. YH0042144187

My logitech harmony hub has lost the ability to control the Roku since the update to OS 9 last night.  When attempting to reconfigure the hub and rescan my network, it is unable to detect and enable IP control of the Roku Streaming Stick+ on my network.  Note that the hub software when scanning is consistently detecting another Roku streaming stick I have elsewhere in the house (and still running version 8 of the OS).  All else seems to be working since the upgrade, including the Roku remote (which I never use).  Has something related to network IP control of the Roku changed with this version of the OS?
0 Kudos
averagepc
Level 7

Were there any fixes in v 9.0?

In particular the resetting to "auto detect" display settings issue?

And issues with hdcp error messages?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"averagepc" wrote:
Were there any fixes in v 9.0?

In particular the resetting to "auto detect" display settings issue?

And issues with hdcp error messages?

Thanks.

The occasional HDCP errors that I was seeing went away with 9.0. I've always used auto-detect, so no idea if that's changed. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dboff01
Level 7

"dboff01" wrote:
Serial No. YH0042144187

My logitech harmony hub has lost the ability to control the Roku since the update to OS 9 last night.  When attempting to reconfigure the hub and rescan my network, it is unable to detect and enable IP control of the Roku Streaming Stick+ on my network.  Note that the hub software when scanning is consistently detecting another Roku streaming stick I have elsewhere in the house (and still running version 8 of the OS).  All else seems to be working since the upgrade, including the Roku remote (which I never use).  Has something related to network IP control of the Roku changed with this version of the OS?

I seem to have resolved this issue through multiple rounds of reset on my home networking gear.  It seems the Roku was somehow assigned a local IP address and could stream from all channels, but my router was reporting that IP address was unassigned.  This was preventing network discovery on both the Roku app and Harmony app from working.  Once I made sure my Roku was assigned a proper IP from my router's perspective, network discovery worked with both apps, and I'm not up and running again with the Harmony.  Sorry for the false alarm.
0 Kudos
dboff01
Level 7

"dboff01" wrote:
"dboff01" wrote:
Serial No. YH0042144187

I seem to have resolved this issue through multiple rounds of reset on my home networking gear.  It seems the Roku was somehow assigned a local IP address and could stream from all channels, but my router was reporting that IP address was unassigned.  This was preventing network discovery on both the Roku app and Harmony app from working.  Once I made sure my Roku was assigned a proper IP from my router's perspective, network discovery worked with both apps, and I'm not up and running again with the Harmony.  Sorry for the false alarm.

So my problem isn't solved.  I continue to have odd networking  behavior whereby my Roku Streaming Stick+ is disappearing from my router's connected devices list.  Even in this state the Roku has an IP address assigned locally, advertises excellent signal strength to the wifi, and can stream from all channels without incident.  However, since it doesn't appear visible on my network, the Roku app (via my Android phone), nor the Harmony can control the Roku, only the provided remote will work.  I have a streaming stick (non-plus) in my bedroom that is having none of this behavior.  My network config is a cable modem connected to a Netgear R7000 router.  I then have that router hardwired to a downstream R6700 configured as an access point, sitting on my TV stand in my Den.  The Roku Streaming Stick+ is physically about 4 feet from R6700 access point and is making wireless connection to that node.  I have both 2.4G and 5G channel options for connectivity, and tried both with the Roku, without having an effect on this behavior.  At this point I'm at a loss for how to troubleshoot this further.  Without Harmony control, the Roku is all but useless for my family, and I'm using my Nvidia Shield exclusively for all things streaming now.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

Can you bypass the R6700 and connect directly to the R7000?
0 Kudos
Kent_c
Level 7

Going into apps that work fine on my older Rokus reboots my brand new Ultra.

This particular model seems to have a number of issues. Any ideas on this?
0 Kudos
dboff01
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:

I can temporarily shut off the R6700 and the Stick+ will attempt to connect to the R7000, but it is on the other side of the house and signal barely reaches.  This is why I added the access point to begin with.  I can give that a shot tonight to see if I can get connectivity.
0 Kudos
dboff01
Level 7

"dboff01" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:

I can temporarily shut off the R6700 and the Stick+ will attempt to connect to the R7000, but it is on the other side of the house and signal barely reaches.  This is why I added the access point to begin with.  I can give that a shot tonight to see if I can get connectivity.

I've temporarily disabled both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios on the R6700 (AP) and the Roku network discovery/control is now working reliably.  I do have an expected weakened signal to my wireless devices in my den, but it is still working.  Of course, I've just limited the Wifi coverage range of my property as well as the benefit of 5G connections in my den.  I'm not sure if this information is useful for Roku, but I don't expect to leave my network configuration limited in this way just so I can control my Roku with the Harmony.  Why would the Roku have problems with an AP configuration?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

Rokus have always been finicky with anything but the simplest of home network setups (and often times, even with simple setups). I don't know a lot about your particular setup, but if you've somehow managed to get two network segments going (e.g., 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x) that could be a problem.

-JT
0 Kudos