Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Level 9

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@iFrog - Thanks for the observation. A few quick questions here: 

- Which model of Roku device are you using? What is the make/model of both the TV & soundbar you are using? 
- Does this occur when you first launch the channel, or during playback of content? 
- When did you last observe the issue occurring? (date/time) 
- Is Netflix the only channel you've observed the issue with, or has it occurred while watching other channels?
- Do you, or have you, used private listening prior to noticing there is no audio? 
- Does this occur without the soundbar (or A/V receiver of any sort) being used? i.e. TV connected directly to your TV?

Feel free to PM me with your Roku device ESN (serial number) from Settings>System>About and the details above and I'll pass them along to the team to take a look. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner, I have just sent you a PM with the requested information.
0 Kudos
rckmnr
Level 7

"waxedfish" wrote:
You know my Roku was working fine with PSVUE until i did the update to OS 9, Dec 13, 2018 now i can not stream it buffers and stays buffering
I hate the new UI when i hit guide and go to a channel i should just go to the channel not be asked if DVR or live tv i was in guide looking at live tv so take me to live tv

Roku
Software Version 9.0.0
Build 4048-29
Updated Dec 13, 2019
Model 4630x

I have the exact same problem. ESPN seems to be the worst, but I've seen it on CNN, Fox Sports, etc.
Roku 3
2 Roku Sticks
Chromecast
WDTV Live
0 Kudos
dwgsp
Level 7

It would be great if someone affiliated with Roku would acknowledge that they are aware of the the audio & display issues that some of us have reported here.  Such as my report:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p627862

Regards!
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 9

"dwgsp" wrote:
It would be great if someone affiliated with Roku would acknowledge that they are aware of the the audio & display issues that some of us have reported here.  Such as my report:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p627862

Regards!

They are aware, and have acknowledged some items being discussed here.  When I asked about the loss of audio Tanner, who is affiliated with Roku responded and asked me to PM him with details.  When I did, and mentioned  about the night listening mode options being gone as well, he said that they have acknowledged the problem and a fix is coming in an upcoming update.
Maybe message hime your issues with your Roku serial model, and OS version.  @atc98092, also publicly posted that Roku had confirmed some of the issues were a known bug, and a fix was coming in a future update.  So, whether or not they know about the video issues, all you can do is ask / report, but it's been documented a few times the audio issues are known to some degree.
0 Kudos
Howser
Level 7

"Howser" wrote:
The audio for my Roku4 - 4400X is set up up using the optical to the AVR. Video direct via HDMI to the screen. No sound via optical after the Dec 13th system update to version 9.0.0 Build 4084-17. Because the audio is set up to auto detect, I had to disconnect the optical cable in order for sound to get sent to the TV. Sad thing is the TV sound is no comparison to surround AVR. Night mode isn't a concern.
Unfortunate results on the update. Gotta love technology, what problems are you fixing and what new problems are you creating. Who benefits?  Let's hope Roku learns the good and bad results from their decisions. The apparent reduced testing done before a release might be a step they might not want to skip next time. Let's hope it's a quick fix. Cheers.

Just posting an update on the results of the latest automatic system update performed on Jan 14[sup:2tyhevgg]th[/sup:2tyhevgg]. No changes to Version (9.0.0) or to Build (4087) for the Model 4400X Roku 4 system. It's HDMI connected to a Sharp Aquos TV and digitally to a Denon AVR-1706 receiver. AVR is still not recognizing a digital signal using optical. Even tested another optical cable. I'm only getting sound through the HDMI. Tried multiple options for the audio setting on the Roku with no success. Finally left Audio setting at Auto Detect. Beginning to get frustrated. Any status updates would be appreciated. Thanks
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 9

Currently, I have not received any further updates for my two Roku Players in operation.

2016 Premiere+ - 9.0.0 build 4084
2017 Ultra - 9.0.0 build 4083

I'm still debating on upgrading the Premiere+ to a newer model.  It works fine, and the minor bugs I've had with it on OS 9 aren't bad enough that I can't wait for a fix.  I'm mainly considering because of the way Roku has changed the function of FandangoNOW on Walmart models, which I use so I can have the VUDU quick button.  My local Walmart is out of the Ultra, and is not sure when they will get anymore, but they have the 2018 Premiere+, and a 2017 black stick.  The stick I could get by with where the Premiere+ is, as it's only a 1080p setup.  The reason I was waiting for the Ultra is to keep the same form factor.  Either way, the need is very small at this point, so I can wait.

As far as the optical audio problem reported, has anyone been able to confirm it's a bug vs Roku disabling the port as they have removed it from all newer models of the Ultra?
0 Kudos
2ovrit
Level 8

Is this update in any way responsible for Youtube suddenly beginning to kick viewers out of unsponsored (no ads) 24 hour live channels? Sponsored live channels are so far unaffected.
0 Kudos
2ovrit
Level 8

I omitted the fact that you can stay on those channels 15 minutes.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@2ovrit 

Have you contacted YouTube support yet to report the issue you are seeing within their channel? 

You can reach them directly here: www.twitter.com/teamyoutube 

Each channel is built and maintained by the channel provider themselves, and they'll typically be able to best assist with any issues you may encounter.  

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions once you've contacted them and I'll follow up to see how else we can assist. 

Thanks! 
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

I haven't checked the optical out on my Ultra in awhile.  I could.  Have to mess with stuff a bit.  Did you change the setting in your AVR for audio in to tell it the audio is on the optical in?
0 Kudos