Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SARCtech
Level 7

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"SARCtech" wrote:
Is there a way to request the update for my roku devices?  I help out friends and family members with their roku devices and some of them already have version 9 but both of my Roku devices are stuck on 8.1.

You can perform a manual update.  Settings > System > System Update

Awesome.  Looks like both my Premier boxes got the update on 12/12.  I should have checked before posting this.
0 Kudos
Kent_c
Level 7

Is there a way to roll-back the update? Most of my apps do not work on 9.
0 Kudos
crom99
Level 7

Any idea when I can expect this update on my TCL Roku TV?
0 Kudos
wyldemusick
Level 7

Landed on my Roku 4 this morning, and promptly bootlooped it. A little research offered a soft reset as a possible solution, so...excavated the beastie and poked its protrusion. It rebooted, I checked got the update again, redid it, and this time...success.

I was dreading having to do a hard reset, honestly. Which is funny, as I’ll be handing this off to a friend soon.
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

Any ETA on the fixed updated rolling out? I know it's the weekend. Any ETA during the week?
0 Kudos

So apparently that support article I linked to previously regarding the volume modes (Automatic Volume Leveling, Night Mode) was quietly revised yesterday to remove the 2016 Premiere 4620 and Premiere+ 4630 models, which were absolutely both listed on there since last month.

So I guess that's Roku's official "response" to this issue of no longer having Night Mode available on some of the 2016-2017 models (4620, 4630, 4640)...just edit the article and screw those of us who own these models that are just as capable or more capable than most of the current lineup?

What a BS way to handle this issue. All three of those models had Night Mode for ages and it worked perfectly well in OS 8.x, so I find it extremely hard to believe that the feature couldn't be retained in OS 9 for those models.

I also find it disappointing that Shawn was asking us to send in our device info for the past few days, but hasn't commented on the fact that the article was revised, so we're just stuck in limbo with Roku showing no respect to its customers. Just buy one of the new products that has these features, I guess is their sales tactic, huh?
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

This is certainly disheartening to hear. 

It would be a first time that Roku had removed a feature that was already added more so one that was promised for quite some time. We went from night mode to being promised audio leveling mode to losing both.... 

I hope this is a fluke and it gets added considering the Premiere+ is just an Ultra without the USB port and enhanced remote. 

All we can do is let Roku know we're upset about this and hope they make things right.... 

It does feel like a lump of coal this time of year for sure.... They should be more transparent on what features what model gets not make promises then quietly retract them. BS.

This is not cool. 
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

at this point I would much like to downgrade back to OS 8.1 thanks...alas thanks to Roku that wont happen unless either some clever hacker finds a way to do it or Roku support can and is allowed to Smiley Sad needless to say while I do like some of the cosmetic changes I'm not happy about losing night listening mode and not gaining auto volume ....thanks for this Roku. it honestly feels like a huge slap in the face to me as I have been consistently recommending your products. I'm not sure I'll be doing that in the future if this is what you are going to do with your previous gen premium models with each OS upgrade. I really hope you change your minds on this stupid move as I really would like to continue to recommend you but at the moment I feel like recommending you is a bad idea.

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
So apparently that support article I linked to previously regarding the volume modes (Automatic Volume Leveling, Night Mode) was quietly revised yesterday to remove the 2016 Premiere 4620 and Premiere+ 4630 models, which were absolutely both listed on there since last month.

my guess is the removal of those premiere models was more due to a typo than anything else. else how do they explain not having the 4640 also in that list? of course I hope the removal of night listening mode was a mistake they will fix in a future patch else that is really going to upset me more so than I am already

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
I also find it disappointing that Shawn was asking us to send in our device info for the past few days, but hasn't commented on the fact that the article was revised, so we're just stuck in limbo with Roku showing no respect to its customers.

I think he is probably on one of his days off or something. I suspect he will respond when he can
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crow550
Level 7

Right this does leave a bad taste. All we do is wait to hear an official word about this from Roku. Keep buggin Roku's social media about it. 

I'm sure Shawn is just thrilled about this but maybe he can help make this wrong a right. 
0 Kudos

I want to clarify that Shawn is obviously not the problem here. In fact he is always very forthcoming when he is permitted to be. Roku obviously has policies in place that stipulate what he can and cannot say publicly, so I wasn't meaning to poop all over him personally. I have reached out to him personally to express that, and he is not unsympathetic to this issue with volume modes. That's all I'm going to say publicly about that.
0 Kudos