Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hgpop2004
Level 7

Re: [Official] 2018 Fall Launch - Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones Feedback

I just purchased the Roku ultra with jbl headphones, for my home theater set up (denon avrx1400h and Mitsubishi hc4000 projector). Set up was fine until auto detect resolution, which found 1080p (which is what my projector’s native resolution is). After this step it the signal was lost. I was briefly able to see the screen for at most 5-10 seconds, followed by either snow screen or “no signal” blue screen. I changed the hdmi input in the denon avr to see if that helps but it didn’t. I also tried switching g between different hdmi cables to see if it is the actual cable... still no luck... at this point I am ready to return the product, unless I can get some other ideas from this forum.

Thank you
0 Kudos
DevonNullman
Level 7

I just purchased a Roku Ultra with the Headphones at Best Buy. The Box shows SKU 4661R and the unit itself shows Model No. 4660X2. It does not appear to decode Ac-3 Dolby Digital. Is that possible ? I have a very old Seagate Theater + and a WD TV Live that both play those files perfectly, why would that be omitted from this new Roku ? Support suggested that I re-encode to a different audio format, which is not an option, I probably have over a thousand files / hours that are encoded with AC-3. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"DevonNullman" wrote:
I just purchased a Roku Ultra with the Headphones at Best Buy. The Box shows SKU 4661R and the unit itself shows Model No. 4660X2. It does not appear to decode Ac-3 Dolby Digital. Is that possible ? I have a very old Seagate Theater + and a WD TV Live that both play those files perfectly, why would that be omitted from this new Roku ? Support suggested that I re-encode to a different audio format, which is not an option, I probably have over a thousand files / hours that are encoded with AC-3. 

The only Roku that has ever had a DD decoder was the Ultra 4640. All other Roku players are capable of passing the Dolby Digital bitstream via HDMI to compatible receiver or display. But it cannot decode DD for devices that don't support it. I don't know what a Seagate Theater is, but I did find Seagate FreeAgent Theater with an online search. It appears to support AC-3. Well, the Roku Ultra supports AC-3 as well as Dolby Digital+, but it cannot decode those codecs. They have to be decoded by your display or receiver. How are you handling the audio? Exactly what have you connected the Roku to? And exactly what are you watching that you aren't getting the audio? 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DevonNullman
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"DevonNullman" wrote:

The only Roku that has ever had a DD decoder was the Ultra 4640. All other Roku players are capable of passing the Dolby Digital bitstream via HDMI to compatible receiver or display. But it cannot decode DD for devices that don't support it. I don't know what a Seagate Theater is, but I did find Seagate FreeAgent Theater with an online search. It appears to support AC-3. Well, the Roku Ultra supports AC-3 as well as Dolby Digital+, but it cannot decode those codecs. They have to be decoded by your display or receiver. How are you handling the audio? Exactly what have you connected the Roku to? And exactly what are you watching that you aren't getting the audio? 

The Roku was and is still set to auto and states that Dolby Digital was detected. It is connected via HDMI to a VIZIO M220MV - Specs include: Built in speakers x 2. Dolby Digital Decoding, SRS TruSurround HD and SRS TruVolume sound enhancement. Other TV's as well as other HDMI cables have been tried. The content is a wide range, TV Shows, Movies in mp4 and mkv format. The Seagate is AKA Seagate FreeAgent Theater Plus. Edit - I have tested several of the source files using mkverify and ffmpeg, none show any issues.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"DevonNullman" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"DevonNullman" wrote:

The Roku was and is still set to auto and states that Dolby Digital was detected. It is connected via HDMI to a VIZIO M220MV - Specs include: Built in speakers x 2. Dolby Digital Decoding, SRS TruSurround HD and SRS TruVolume sound enhancement. Other TV's as well as other HDMI cables have been tried. The content is a wide range, TV Shows, Movies in mp4 and mkv format. The Seagate is AKA Seagate FreeAgent Theater Plus. Edit - I have tested several of the source files using mkverify and ffmpeg, none show any issues.

Well, if your files have AC-3 audio, it should be working fine. I can't explain why it isn't working, except the possibility of a defective player. Any chance of testing it on another TV? Every Roku ever built supports AC-3 audio. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DevonNullman
Level 7

I tested it on a Samsung TV and a monitor I have that uses HDMI for audio and video. In both cases the roku had no audio and my old STB's did, using the same source files each time.
Update - just tried on a 3rd device, a larger VIZIO TV and all is well. Except for screen size, the two TV's are spec wise the same. More confused than before. . .
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I would have to see the media codec information to help any further. Use a program like MediaInfo, or the ffmpeg command line -i switch.
Dan
0 Kudos
DevonNullman
Level 7

Last night it was OK on another TV, today with no change, no audio.
From ffmpeg -i
Duration: 01:04:26.00, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 3239 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1280x720, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s (default)

From VideoInfo:
Video

ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L3.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames               : 3 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1 h 4 min
Bit rate                                 : 2 852 kb/s

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Duration                                 : 1 h 4 min
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 177 MiB (12%)
Title                                    : English
Language                                 : English
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

OK, absolutely no reason that audio shouldn't play. I'm at a loss for ideas. 
Dan
0 Kudos
DevonNullman
Level 7

I took the unit to a friend's house, connected it to a Yamaha Home Theater Receiver, which goes to an older Panasonic TV. All videos that I tested including a dozen that I know for sure had no audio here played fine.
0 Kudos