Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rushman55
Level 7

Re: [Official] 2018 Fall Launch - Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones Feedback

I had the same issue. I bought one from Best Buy, it says 4661 on the box, but when you look on the bottom of the unit it says 4660x2. I realize they are the same box as far as performance but the 4661 is also supposed to have operating system 9, and 2 new remote finder sounds and mine does not have either of those. I bought one directly from Roku yesterday and it got here at my house today and it's the same deal with this unit as well. Am I missing something, is there going to be a firmware update so you can get operating system 9 and the two new remote finder sounds?

is Roku shipping the wrong boxes?I do have the JBL headphones but like I said I don't have the two new remote finder sounds and its operating on 8.1 operating system as well.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

To my understanding, OS9 is still in beta testing, so I'm not surprised they are shipping the new Ultra with 8. But yes, it will be a download when available. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rushman55
Level 7

Will the remote finder sounds be a download as well?  I realize it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's sort of the principle of the thing you know.  I paid for a certain product, and that's what I should get right?
0 Kudos
rushman55
Level 7

My bad, I just read in the official press release that the 2 new remote finder sounds will not be available till November.  Just my 2 cents, but I think roku should have stamped the bottom of the units with 4661.  It's just confusing to people when you have 4661 stamped on the box, and then you look at the actual unit and it says 4660x2.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I agree. If they are selling it as a specific model number, that's what should be on the label. Perhaps it shows the correct model number in the about menu. As far as the finder sounds, I believe they are part of OS9. So when 9 is released the tones should be there. Now we need to know which models the sounds will be available in. Will my older Ultra have them? Inquiring minds want to know!  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rushman55
Level 7

it does not showin the about menu either. I have check that as well. I'm thinking maybe after the updates in November then the model number might change in the about menu possibly.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

The 2018 Roku Ultra now includes a pair of premium JBL headphones. You can ensure you have these headphones by checking the earbuds for the “JBL” logo. The new Roku Ultra will show 4660 printed on the player, packed inside of a box that displays the new 4661 SKU. The 4661 SKU on the box denotes the premium JBL headphones are inside. Roku OS 9 is expected to begin rolling out to Roku players starting next month. We hope that helps answer your questions! Happy Streaming
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
rushman55
Level 7

thanks shawn for the clarification. I appreciate your explanation sir, but it just seems nonsensical to me too print one model number on the box and print a different model number on the actual unit. I actually had the Best Buy manager call the corporate office to check on things because this was so confusing for me. They were actually checking to see if Roku was shipping them the right model. Haha!

I would venture to say that this model number issue is confusing quite a few people across the country right now. I think Roku should have just kept it the same model number, and just said we're adding upgraded JBL earbuds.
0 Kudos
SL_BRABUS
Level 7

If somebody could help....

Thanks in advance...

Just got my new 2018 Roku Utra.....

This unit replace my Samsung Smart Blu Ray Player BD-J6300/ZA by using HDMI for picture & 5.1 surround sound....

Very disappointing  with the new 2018 Roku Utra no more 5.1 surround sound... Always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.....

It's the firmware issue...??

Buyer beware this issue....

Best Regards,
Tony
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"SL BRABUS" wrote:
If somebody could help....

Thanks in advance...

Just got my new 2018 Roku Utra.....

This unit replace my Samsung Smart Blu Ray Player BD-J6300/ZA by using HDMI for picture & 5.1 surround sound....

Very disappointing  with the new 2018 Roku Utra no more 5.1 surround sound... Always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.....

It's the firmware issue...??

Buyer beware this issue....

Best Regards,
Tony

The Ultra 4660 (2017 and later) no longer has a DD+ to DD decoder, so it's been this way for some time. It was removed for cost savings. Unfortunately, if you aren't using a device that can decode DD+, you're stuck with PCM. For the Ultra with decoder, you need model 4640 (2016 version). And no other Roku player has the decoder either. 
Dan
0 Kudos