Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blevins2000
Reel Rookie

OS 10.5 appears to be causing an issue with my TV

My Roku Streaming Stick + (Model 3810X) was updated to OS 10.5 and appears to be causing issues with my tv. When launching apps, such as Netflix, my TVs backlight shuts off completely but I can still see the picture (barely) and hear audio. Manually adjusting my TV’s backlight settings will not turn it back on. However, restarting my TV seems to fix the issue - until the backlight shuts off again. The issue seems to be intermittent but it’s still very annoying. My TV is an older Insignia (Model NS-39D400NA14). Has anyone else been having this issue?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: OS 10.5 appears to be causing an issue with my TV

I'm not aware of an HDMI CEC command to shut off a backlight, so I'll just take a wild shot in the dark:  By any chance are you powering the Roku via a USB port on the TV?

0 Kudos
Blevins2000
Reel Rookie

My Roku was powered by the TV’s USB port. However, I switched to a USB wall adapter. Still having the same problem though. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Blevins2000

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

-image of the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos