Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oyster_Man
Level 7

No wifi, but can I screen share?

Hey guys,

So I just picked up a Roku streaming stick last night. I am currently at a dorm that does not have wifi, and I don't have the option of getting wifi. Fortunately I have unlimited data on my phone.

The dream is to do some sort of screen sharing from my phone to my roku, utilizing something like bluetooth for the process. However ive not been able to find any articles on the matter that match exactly what I'm looking for. I've found some sketchy looking apps that let me do it, but the connection isnt great and I am suspicious that they may be doing nefarious things behind the curtain.

Phone is a Galaxy s7.

Not sure of the exacts on the Roku, but it is a Streaming Stick!

Oh, and though I didn't explicitly say it, yes the Roku is connected to a compatible t.v. Smiley Wink

Any help is appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: No wifi, but can I screen share?

Android phones can screen share. You might have to download a sharing app, but I mirrored my S8 without issue. However, I believe the way it worked was only if both devices were on the same wireless network. Roku players don't support Bluetooth, so that option isn't available. 

If you can't set up a local wireless network I don't think there's any way you can do it. Since you have unlimited data on your phone, your best bet is to use the phone as a hotspot and connect the Roku to it for Internet access.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Oyster_Man
Level 7

Hi, I actually got it to screen share, with no hotspot and no wifi. Mind you at this point I had used the hotspot to at least update the Roku, and otherwise cannot hotspot and screen share at the same time.

Ridiculously easy: swiped down from the top of my phone to get the menu, swiped down again to get my settings and things, swiped right to the second page, and selected smart view.
Easy peasy.

Does still drop it from time to time, but now I can watch thongs on the big screen at least.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Miracast is a direct to device connection.  No wifi network required.
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

A better solution would be for you to tether the Roku to your phone's wifi, so it can use your 4G connection directly. That will be less laggy.
0 Kudos