Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No user manual for Roku 3

I have a Roku 3 and am trying to determine which file formats are supported on devices plugged into the USB port. There does not seem to be a user manual for this product and Roku does not seem to support older products. This is a simple question that should be in a manual. I HAVE PURCHASED MY LAST ROKU PRODUCT!!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No user manual for Roku 3

@MichaelCC03 

The Roku 3 box came with a user manual, and a listing of the supported formats. Of course, since the Roku 3 was discontinued in October 2016, over five years ago, you won't easily find one now.

A simple search showed that the information is also available on this page: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

The 4200 was released in Mar 2013, so it's not likely you've kept the manual that came with your Roku.  But I don't believe the information you're wondering about was ever contained in any Roku document that was included with the device. 

This web page provides the information you are asking about, although there's one supported format not listed. Roku devices will play videos in the M2TS/TS container. The information is valid for your player, as well as the latest devices. Since your 4200 isn't a 4K player, it doesn't support H.265 video. Also note (listed on the linked page) that if your media has DTS audio, the media must be in the MKV container and you need a supporting AVR to play it. Very few TVs support DTS audio. 

Yes, Roku does still support your player, as old as it is. It still receives OS updates, but it's approaching end of life for some providers. Don't expect the providers to continue supporting older players, as they build new versions of their channels that require more power and memory. There's a limit to what older players can support. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@atc98092 

My memory could be wrong, and I'd have to dig out a Roku 3 box to find out for sure, but I think either the manual or the box itself listed the media information that's on the link I shared.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

The oldest player I still have a box for is my Roku 4, and I don't believe it had anything other than the same sort of quick setup guide as the current models. But hey, I've been wrong before. 😛

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos