Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bishup_02
Reel Rookie

No screensaver under media

I just bought a roku express+ and when I connect to the device using the mobile app and click media there is no option of screensaver. Music, photos, videos is all that is listed. On my other roku it gives me the option of screensaver so that I can upload personal photos. Did the latest app update take that option away? Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No screensaver under media

The screensaver function is not within the Roku Media Player. You will find it in the Settings menu. There's a large number of different screensavers available, and I believe there might be some that can use personal images. I've never done so, so I have no personal knowledge about using them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bishup_02
Reel Rookie

@atc98092 wrote:

The screensaver function is not within the Roku Media Player. You will find it in the Settings menu. There's a large number of different screensavers available, and I believe there might be some that can use personal images. I've never done so, so I have no personal knowledge about using them. 

On my tcl roku tv if I click media it has The option of screensavers where I can upload certain pictures I want to use. This express does not. I added the roku photo collage and it says to upload pictures using the roku app... there is no option on the app to upload pictures

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Bishup_02 wrote:
On my tcl roku tv if I click media it has The option of screensavers where I can upload certain pictures I want to use. This express does not. I added the roku photo collage and it says to upload pictures using the roku app... there is no option on the app to upload pictures

Where are you clicking "media"? I don't understand where that is located. I'm currently looking at my Ultra 4670, and screensavers are located under Settings/Theme. There are 1007 total screensavers listed, and while I wouldn't doubt there are some that might use local media, I really don't want to look through them all. 😄

Now, Roku Media Player supports running a photo slideshow, but it's not an automated screensaver function. You have to manually start it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Bishup_02
Reel Rookie

On the roku app under devices, it shows which device you are connected to. Under that it says media, on my tcl it had a function that says screensaver. The express only shows photos, videos, and music. I don’t know of the latest update changed, or if it’s just not an option on the express

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Bishup_02 wrote:

On the roku app under devices, it shows which device you are connected to. Under that it says media, on my tcl it had a function that says screensaver. The express only shows photos, videos, and music. I don’t know of the latest update changed, or if it’s just not an option on the express

OK, are you referring to the Roku app on a phone or tablet? Completely different than anything on the device itself. I just looked at the app, and I see it was recently updated. So perhaps that function has changed. I'm trying it right now on my Ultra 4670, but it's just sitting there with the loading icon. Seems like there's an issue, either with the phone app or the Roku OS.

I did connect to all Roku devices on my network, and they all showed the Media button. But I don't have an Express to try. It did show on my Insignia Roku TV, which is a small 720p TV, and less powerful than the Express. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Solution.

The Roku SE just doesn't have the screensaver ability while the normal Roku does. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Solution.

The Roku SE is extremely old and no longer supported by Roku. It doesn't have the hardware to support any of the newer channels or functions. 

Dan

0 Kudos
syammt
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue. Had anyone helped you figure out how to upload pics to use as a screensaver?

0 Kudos
syammt
Reel Rookie

I have an ONN tv and 3 other tv’s with a roku stick connected to those but on my ONN tv roku is on the tv itself. When I open the app and go to either of the devices with a roku stick under media is shows a screensaver option but for my ONN tv under media it is only giving me music, photos and video options. So no screensaver option. It does show “Play on Roku” when I go to photos and try to add a pic but as soon as I close my phone the pics are gone and it doesn’t allow me to pick only certain pics to show.  

0 Kudos