Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrickt333
Level 7

No casting options from Android

I have been unable to get ANY casting options from my Google Android Pixel to my new Roku Stick+, with the exception of Youtube, which is basically worthless cause I can just use the Youtube app on the roku itself.  I have tried to screen mirroring using Settings->Connected Devices->Cast and the Roku does not appear.  Trying to use other apps that support casting to Chromecast, like Plex or or web videos on Chromecast, again, only the chromecast shows up.  I've read dozens of articles and forum entries without any success.  Have I made a mistake with this purchase, is it ever going to support true casting of apps, or do I need to go back to Chromecast (which doesn't handle hotel wireless very well at all)?  Yes, they are on the same wifi network.  I've even tried a new shring app called AllConnect that sees the Roku, but can't actually connect to it.  Mirroring is set to allow all, just for testing.

Roku version 8.1.0 Build 4137
Android Pixel version 8.1.0

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
patrickt333
Level 7

Re: No casting options from Android

Chrome on my laptop also doesn't recognize Roku as a cast device.  I fear I've made a mistake buying this device for my needs.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

With my S8, I had no issues casting to my Ultra. However, I don't carry that phone much, since I have to have my work iPhone, so it's been some time since I've tried it. Also, it requires a specific app installed on the phone, which of course the name escapes me at the moment. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"patrickt333" wrote:
I have been unable to get ANY casting options from my Google Android Pixel to my new Roku Stick+, with the exception of Youtube, which is basically worthless cause I can just use the Youtube app on the roku itself.  I have tried to screen mirroring using Settings->Connected Devices->Cast and the Roku does not appear.  Trying to use other apps that support casting to Chromecast, like Plex or or web videos on Chromecast, again, only the chromecast shows up.  I've read dozens of articles and forum entries without any success.  Have I made a mistake with this purchase, is it ever going to support true casting of apps, or do I need to go back to Chromecast (which doesn't handle hotel wireless very well at all)?  Yes, they are on the same wifi network.  I've even tried a new shring app called AllConnect that sees the Roku, but can't actually connect to it.  Mirroring is set to allow all, just for testing.

Roku version 8.1.0 Build 4137
Android Pixel version 8.1.0

If you are searching for a Chromecast experience with a Roku device, I believe you will be disappointed. Just not the intended design goal of a Roku device. It expects you to have a Roku Remote in your hand and all the streaming apps installed on the Roku that you intend to access. Just the opposite of a Chromecast device, which requires a smartphone, tablet or PC and streaming apps with Chromecast support to throw them to your Chromecast device.

FWIW, I have gotten Screen Mirroring on a Roku device to work from my Android 7.0 phone. I had to enable SCREEN MIRRORING on Roku device and then go into SETTINGS -- DISPLAY -- CAST SCREEN -- MORE -- ENABLE WIRELESS DISPLAY in my smartphone settings for it to find my two (2) Roku-Enabled TV's. Once they are discovered you can connect to your discovered Roku device and SCREEN MIRRORING should happen. It is not the smoothest experience or high quality video streaming, but it will mirror whatever you are streaming from your phone. By no means a Chromecast quality experience. It is useful if you want to mirror your phone onto a larger TV screen for photo sharing or a web browsing experience for others in the room, but video streaming will always be a bit lacking in quality.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Google Pixel only supports Chromecast, doesn't support Miracast. Has been that way since Nexus 6 models of Google devices. Roku only does Miracast, doesn't support Chromecast at all. Suggest a Chromecast device. Nvidia Shield does do Chromecast, but it's expensive and I find to be buggier with Streaming than Rokus.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
patrickt333
Level 7

Thanks for the responses.  I was hoping for a "best of both worlds" solution, with installed apps but can still cast, but I clearly didn't do enough homework on this.  Well, I can get 90% of what I want on this device, not a total loss.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I have 3 Roku's and 2 Chromecasts.. oh, and an Amazon Fire stick. Sometimes you just need a certain device for certain needs.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
RAIST5150
Level 7

Had some weirdness with my Marshmallow phone (Android 6.x) trying to natively mirror directly to my Roku 3810 stick+'s. It would find them, get the prompt on the TV screen to allow the connection etc. It all appeared to work... and then the video just would not come up, and then would eventually error out.

The only way to get it to work was to install an old Miracast app from the Google Play Store. I launch this, it finds my available Rokus, and when I connect to them the entire screen is mirrored--makes the TV a second screen, basically. Is kinda awkward, but it works. Have used it at work to sling things to their smart TV's as well.

Might be something to try with your devices.
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

I got so tired of no casting option with Roku LT/Express+ I  tired a lot of things. but no luck. I finally bought a Chrome stick where I can cast anything from my Win7 laptop to the Chrome Stick. Now this week, I bought a Fire Stick with search engines. I like the Roku, but I do not like how restrictive the apps are with the Roku now.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I'd looked into casting web videos in particular to the Roku, and there are a lot of choices on Google Play app store.  FWIW I've had luck thus far with these iOS browser video casting apps: R-Cast, Video & TV Cast, iWebTV, and Rocket Video Cast (first 2 are also on Android).  Note I only tested a few websites (outside of YouTube) that stream in a Roku-compatible, non-DRM format.  And didn't need to cast LAN media, or local device media (already handled by Roku's own mobile apps).

There are app differences like which ones support adblocker or multiple tabs.  Some cast to multiple TV platforms, others use a separate mobile app to target each platform.  Video & TV Cast and Rocket Video Cast leverage the built-in "Play On Roku" (DIAL?) mechanism, whereas R-Cast and iWebTV require a custom receiver channel to be installed on the Roku.  iWebTV also has advanced queuing and video parsing features.

In the end my family settled on R-Cast for its simplicity (casting menu usually pops up automatically on the video page).  What's more its Roku receiver channel offers last-video resume without needing the mobile app again (which at least justifies having to install a custom channel).
0 Kudos