Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeñorDificil
Level 7

No HBO Max = Google TV

Roku has until the day Google releases Sabrina to give me an HBO Max app, then they lose this customer.  I doubt I'm the only one.

11 Replies
SeñorDificil
Level 7

Re: No HBO Max = Google TV

And. . . I'm out.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

The exodus is continuing............

0 Kudos
rhsauer
Level 8

I understand your frustration, but there are apps available on Roku that I don't think are currently available on Google TV.  For example, I don't think the Apple TV app is available on Google TV, and I don't think the ATT TV Now app is either.  (ATT TV Now is, I think, the only linear tv app that supports 5.1 sound, which is important to some of us.)

Now that Roku has worked out a deal with Peacock, the only content missing from Roku is certain HBO Max content beyond what's included with traditional HBO.  (Traditional HBO content, which is, to me, by far the most important part of HBO Max, can still be accessed on Roku through Hulu, YoutubeTV, the Roku Channel (I think), or the HBO app.)

So, nothing's perfect, and everything is a tradeoff.  My guess is that Roku will do a deal for HBO Max before year end.  There's plenty to watch in the meantime, like the new AMC+.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

I just checked my shipping status as of Saturday October 3.  My 2 new "insurance"dongles are now in the same region as I am.  I expect to see them delivered  sooner than I thought.   Whatever the case may be, whatever happens in the future, I will not be some sort of captive audience ransomed bargaining chip for corporate bickering ever again. 

Roku makes it's own decisions that's best for them.  I am still so taken aback that the average users here don't do the same.  They think whining and pleading will change things?  HA!

fluke
Level 13

@Iona-D wrote:

I just checked my shipping status as of Saturday October 3.  My 2 new "insurance"dongles are now in the same region as I am.  I expect to see them delivered  sooner than I thought.   Whatever the case may be, whatever happens in the future, I will not be some sort of captive audience ransomed bargaining chip for corporate bickering ever again. 

Roku makes it's own decisions that's best for them.  I am still so taken aback that the average users here don't do the same.  They think whining and pleading will change things?  HA!

Thanks for the shipping update.  Have you considered starting a blog with hourly updates?

Google is not above corporate bickering.  There are a number of such problems with Google in the past.  If you want to claim Sabrina addresses what you consider to be the most important issue for you today, then I am glad you found a solution that you feel works for you.  But if you want to claim this provides guarantees of being bicker-proof, I think you may be in for a nasty surprise someday in the future.

As far as Roku making decisions that's best for them, I don't think that statement fits the facts.  Apple is a direct competitor to Roku.  The primary groups benefiting from the deal for the Roku OS 9.4 feature is the users with iPhone/iPads and Apple.  For channels like Peacock that are installed from the Roku channel store, Roku has established terms for ad revenue sharing.  If HBO Max users are still using Airplay to be displayed on Roku when HBO Max releases their ad-tier, then Apple will control the ad revenue sharing.

I don't expect you to stop being angry at Roku.  You have your reasons and I'm not going to change your perspective on that.  But the claims being thrown around that Roku didnt listen to us and only does self-serving things just is not true.

As a side note, for anyone that is interested, the Roku Channel (which has free movies like Apocalypto, Clue, Coneheads, Free Willy and Iron Giant) is not available directly as an Android TV or Google TV app.  However, there is still a work-around to get to it.  Just install Puffin TV Browser and then go to: therokuchannel.roku.com 

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Geez, what do you think I am?  Some sort of ninny hausfrau?  I am simply trying to help my already previously discussed highly intelligent housemates through a very difficult time as this Pandemic has proven to be.  Some have suffered job losses, some are just lost.  

Because of these reasons, I can no longer afford to allow even Roku their endless quest for money-and the resulting app blocking-at my for sure (and others probable) expense.  Before, I just might have quietly gone away without even a farewell.  Now, a bit of exhibitonist behavior is called for.  That means not just listing a vague recount of my orders, but how about a more detailed look at exactly what is replacing even Streaming in its entirety.  

• Unnamed Dongles I am not ready yet to name the manufacturer of these devices. So don’t jump to conclusions just yet.  It could be any number of makers, including even Roku.
  • DVD players  I have ordered  2 extra.
  • DVDs  The bargain bins and thrift stores are full of great titles.

And Some Non-Technology Activities:

• Kaleidoscopes
  • Traditional Board Games 
  • Playing & Tarot Cards
  • Mathematical Puzzles (for the more tech/math gifted here)

As for streaming, I decided all of us here will not be so dependent on the Internet anymore.  Since AT&T retired DSL as of Oct.1:  https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5880219002

we will continue to be grandfathered on our current DSL Plan I’ve been paying for since 2008,  I decided not to depend so much on any one activity to tide over this horrible Pandemic.  Important Bonus: Streaming will be just one activity here from now on (then their corporate bickering/app blocking will not matter anymore as well).  So is the bland OTA regular tower transmit television has it's important place now.  We cannot afford to “upgrade” anything that is so frivolous as a supposed "higher speed" fiber or something like that which DSL takes care of fine already, so I decided to revive or keep using the older, yet still usable & available  technologies and “ancient” entertainment activities until things improve around here. 

Anything else would be financial suicide.  And just plain ass stupid. 

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

AT&T, the parent company of TW/HBO, is retiring DSL and your solution is to complain about Roku and get Sabrina (sorry, the offical name of "Google Chromecast with Google TV" is just stupid)?!

AT&T got tax payer funding with obligations to expand broadband availability.  Then they lobbied to claim 4G is a replacement for internet broadband so they should keep the tax payer fund and do nothing to expand wired broadband.

The degree to which there is a logical jump to any of this being Roku as being on an "endless quest for money" just makes no sense.

AT&T DSL pricing locked in from 2008 is what?  $40 per month?  So about $480 per year to AT&T on DSL.  AT&T's HBO Max is $15 per month for another $180 per year.  Then you spent another $50 on Sabrina because TW/HBO CEO wants to get leverage to make "Roku cave" and is "very happy" about listing Roku as unsupported.  There is no advantage to Roku in forcing you to get a non-Roku device.  The July 30th deadline was decided by AT&T/HBO and getting a "supported" device was the result of AT&T/HBO actions.

So, as I see it, you are spending over $700 ($480 + $180 + $50) during the next 12 months in AT&T related expenses.  Why are you coming to Roku's forum to complain about the amount of money you spend?  Shouldn't you be upset with AT&T at this point?

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

I am a Roku Owner just as much as you are-times 3.  I have an active Roku account (or I would not been able to post here right now) and do like my OWN Roku devices for the most part.  To answer your concerns:

A bit of family communications history is in order here.  I am NOT the primary purchaser of our phones & Internet services in this house.  My own parents are/were.  My late father was an Pacific Bell (predecessor to AT&T) customer from 1936.  My 92 year old mother is still a customer of Pacific Bell (now known as AT&T) since the late 1940s.   The Depression proof intact growing family unit still has the SAME landline (yes, a real live still-in-use Copper Wire POTS landline) phone with it’s own working number AND Pacific Bell account for over 50 YEARS.  Our service changed to AT&T on November 18, 2005-3 months after my father died under Pacific Bell.   I simply tacked on-bundled-the DSL service (I felt that Dial Up was way too slow) to my mother’s account  somewhere back in 2008 when I inherited ½ of the household in order to somewhat upgrade the household to to a 21st century style of communications (Steaming was not part of that decision) without breaking the budget.  A grandfathered clause on top of another grandfathered clause?  I will let others decide.  

*******My mother does not like strangers to nose in her own private business and tell her how to spend her own money.  The DSL and Landline is under my mother’s own control as she pays 100% for that.   She is NOT senile.  She told me to tell you that.*********  

On my own I am an 21st century AT&T customer with a 1 AT&T smartphone and it’s own private number for my personal  21st century communication options  (i.e. Wifi, email, chat, texting, Zoom, etc.) ability.  I pay for my own private phone and portable WiFi access under my own Prepaid account-fully 100% separate from each other.  Simply since when I am away from the house and still need to deal with whatever issues come up.  Because obviously there are no more Pay Phones to do just that.

Streaming was once just another entertainment form of Internet usage diversion.  Like game playing or OTA television watching.   Until the Pandemic and mass Social Isolation/Lock-down occurrences.  And people coming here needing help, especially since March of this year.   Not just for food, blankets, quilts, or even a couch to sleep on, but WiFi Broadband access that did not exist even in fantasy in 1929.  My mother says that the Depression is happening again.  We do what we can by sharing our Internet WiFi access with others.  Public Libraries are closed until further notice.  All schools around here are closed too.  There are only a very few working hotspots around my home.  And now closed schools around here are on Zoom for who knows how long to try to keep the masses of mostly poor minors educated.  Who are struggling with waiting in line at Food Banks. That was what I was really discussing when I mentioned sitting in parking lots.  Assuming that Public Wifi is available.  

As for dongles, I did not specify exactly what I-rather we-bought.  I don’t need anything else of a technological nature for a long time, so unless I have to, I don't necessary buy something anymore.   Most likely someone else around here actually bought one or two of those Google TV dongles.  I just supervise expectant shipments coming in & announce that they are arriving whenever.  There is no restriction of what people do here just as long as Piracy does not take place (no Kodi or the rest of those possible shady apps) allowed on this household’s own WiFi Access/DSL account.  Too much temptation for my guests!  

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

@Iona-D wrote:

I am a Roku Owner just as much as you are-times 3.

Cool. Smiley Happy

@Iona-D wrote:

The DSL and Landline is under my mother's own control as she pays 100% for that. She is NOT senile. She told me to tell you that.

I'm not trying to claim people that are customers of AT&T are senile.  Just that AT&T has created more problems than solutions in 2020 and has been absorbing a lot of money while doing it.

@Iona-D wrote:
... for my personal  21st century communication options  (i.e. Wifi, email, chat, texting, Zoom, etc.) ability.

Zoom? Smiley Sad How did Eric Yuan get so much trust? He had no regard for privacy/security when involved with Cisco Webex and then showed the same disregard for security practices with Zoom. I would have recommended using Google Meet instead but ... o.k.

@Iona-D wrote:
... but WiFi Broadband access that did not exist even in fantasy in 1929.

Uh, about that ...

Interview with Nikola Tesla in 1926 with Colliers magazine:
When wireless is perfectly applied the whole earth will be converted into a huge brain, which in fact it is…. We shall be able to communicate with one another instantly, irrespective of distance. Not only this, but through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though were face to face, despite intervening distances of thousands of miles; and the instruments through which we shall be able to do this will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket.

@Iona-D wrote:
My mother says that the Depression is happening again.

She may be right. There are warning signs that need to be taken seriously and addressed in how the USA economic system is structured.

@Iona-D wrote:
There is no restriction of what people do here just as long as Piracy does not take place (no Kodi or the rest of those possible shady apps) allowed on this household's own WiFi Access/DSL account.

It makes sense to established rules and disallow pirating. But Kodi is just a generalized open source platform. The point of the platform wasn't to promote pirating and it has useful legitimate purposes. Linux is also a generalized open source platform that has been abused by some for pirating. Would you ever consider Google Sabrina or Roku to be shady for using Linux?

Anyways, I agree or sympathize with several of the things you said.  I just still am unable to make the leap that somehow it is Roku that is on an "endless quest for money."  I just don't see that as true.

0 Kudos