Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No HBO MAX & No Peacock

At the beginning of this year, I switched my entire house hold from DirectTV to Roku’s Ultra 4K platform.  I bought four new Roku Ultra devices and upgraded my internet service to gigabit service.  I believed Streaming was the future and Roku was the best hardware. platform for 4K  due to its hardware specs and current market share.  But now they are playing games just like the cable company with restricting networks and subscription services on their devices.   I / we as Roku users have no access to HBO MAX nor to NBC’s Peacock that is launching tomorrow, July 15th. 

16 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: No HBO MAX & No Peacock

I would think that I wouldn't need to make this comment, but if Roku thinks they have any sort of allegiance built up to weather this issue of new streaming services not arriving in their platform, they are in for a very big surprise.

Roku, you have one week to figure out how to get HBOMax and Peacock onto your device, or all three of mine will be in the trash as I head to th store to get Chromecasts.

The difference between this and cable channel carriage issues, is that I can go to the store and forget Roku ever existed!

Highlighted
Level 7

I agree Roku I am just as frustrated and am thinking about going to a different streaming service.

Highlighted
Level 7

The clock is ticking!!!!! Make it happen Roku!

Highlighted
Level 11

DOWNGRADED media player which forcibly replaced the original working one... no fix posted so far or any way to re-add the original one to customers while fix is being worked on...

NO HBO Max...

NO Peacock...

It definitely looks like the platform is dead for the future at this point.

If we don't see a FIXED media player or the ORIGINAL WORKING media player, AND HBO Max and Peacock channels by the end of next week, then I think it's definitely time to move on, as I don't think Roku will survive the lost consumer confidence by that point.

Real nice work, whoever's running things...

Highlighted
Level 12

Is Roku _really_ holding out for the ability to insert ads in Peacock content?  On the device I paid for, and using the bandwidth I pay for?  I hope that never happens.

Highlighted
Level 7

Me too.

I bought 1 device, then bought 3 more.

I wanted to purchase HBOMax via Roku, but it’s not available.

I also want Turner Classic Movies now that Comcast ruined my Saturday mornings by taking it away and burying it inside a sports package—that’s the most ridiculous move. It inspired me to plan my tv viewing without Comcast so I selected Roku so I could add all the individual streaming sites myself as I get ready to cut the $250 a month burden.

Highlighted
Level 12

Oddly, HBO Max still is not available as an app on Comcast/Xfinity's own X1 boxes yet either although of course it has Peacock.

Personally, I think TCL is on the right track in starting to offer Android TV versions of their hardware as an alternative to roku.

Highlighted

I don’t think they really care.  I was very impressed with my Roku Ultra out of the box, then they began hitting it with the software updates.  9.2.0 rendered it virtually inoperable for months.  They eventually fixed the bugs with 9.2.0 only to roll out 9.3.0 with more bugs.  Then they wrecked Roku Media player shortly thereafter with another software update. No HBO Max, No Peacock...

They have lost me, but I am also thankful that Roku went south before I bought a 65" Roku Smart TV.  I thought the idea of a Roku smart tv was pretty cool since it would eliminate the need for a separate streaming device.  It never occurred to me that that the company could turn my new TV into a brick via software update without my knowledge or consent. 

Many thanks to Roku for the valuable lesson!

p.s. I disconnected my Ultra from the internet when they rolled back Roku Media Player from version 5.0 to version 4.x.  So this portion of my Ultra is still useable.  I use an Amazon fire TV for streaming.

Highlighted
Level 12

I wouldn't throw TCL under the bus for that, or call the TV a brick.   It is still relatively cheap to add another streaming device and configure the TV to power up with an HDMI port selected.    Given that all the other players have a history of routinely blocking each others content we should probably just get used to the idea of buying multiple devices so as not to be affected by their anti-competitive games.  And the vendors' stockholders should realize that is what is going to happen instead of having viewers locked into seeing their ad streams or getting cuts from their app store on everything when they do it.

0 Kudos