Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
murdog
Level 7

Night Listening mode REMOVED automatic volume leveling NOT ADDED

I have a Roku Ultra 4640x and have been using Night Listening Mode for years now, got an update the other week to 9.0.0 build 4052-29 and it removed Night Listening Mode. I was like wtf so went online and read there is a new mode called Automatic Volume leveling, WELL i did not get it and from how the article is worded only tv owners with Roku speakers get it

https://newsroom.roku.com/press-release ... g-features

]https://newsroom.roku.com/press-release/company-usa/roku-os-9-offer-new-voice-control-search-and-vol...

does anyone know what is going on its been weeks now and a few minor updates and nothing i want my feature back or the new one at least

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
wildsprite
Level 9

Re: Night Listening mode REMOVED automatic volume leveling NOT ADDED

ok if they are going to remove night listening mode but not add the automatic volume leveling to the 4640 I don't think I want it anymore

RokuShawnS can you shed some light on this?
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

A few weeks ago, I saw someone also say on reddit that night mode had been removed from the Ultra 4640X with the update to OS 9.

If you go to this link regarding automatic volume leveling in the pinned OS 9 release notes, it does look like the top-of-the-line 2016 Roku, the Ultra 4640X, will not support volume modes (night mode, auto volume leveling) in OS 9.  But the cheaper cousins of the Ultra, the 2016 Premiere and Premiere+ are listed as supporting volume modes.  I don't use night mode, but it's absolutely wrong for Roku to be removing a feature that the Ultra 4640 had since its release.  Hopefully, they will do the right thing and add it back.
0 Kudos

I have a 4620 and 4630, both are now at OS 9, neither have the "Advanced sounds settings" mentioned in the linked article referencing volume modes.

I've tried multiple ways to get the menu to show up, including changing the audio to stereo, going into the Roku app, and so on.

Nothing works. It simply looks as if the option was documented but not actually added to the new release.
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
I have a 4620 and 4630, both are now at OS 9, neither have the "Advanced sounds settings" mentioned in the linked article referencing volume modes.
I've tried multiple ways to get the menu to show up, including changing the audio to stereo, going into the Roku app, and so on.
Nothing works. It simply looks as if the option was documented but not actually added to the new release.

Roku this is ridiculous, the Roku Ultra 2016 and the Roku 4{2015) before it were your top of the line models for their respective years, they deserve to keep the night listening and gain the auto volume. I also think the 2016 Premiere and Premiere+ deserve these settings as well.  All not including them stands to do is anger many of your customers, I suggest you rethink this path.

Note: after a short bit of thought it could be they intended to give us these features but have had some buggy releases and an update will fix them. I hope this is the case because if you intentionally removed wanted features and did not add the auto volume to your top of the line models from previous generations(Roku 4(4400), Premiere(4620) Premiere(4630) Ultra 2016(4640)/2017(4660)  this sends a clear message and I will no-longer recommend nor buy any Roku products if that is the case
0 Kudos
kwk280
Level 7

Same here. Premiere+ 4630 model. We had been using night listening mode pretty much all the time... now it's gone. Software updates should add features, not remove them! I have sent a comment to Roku customer service - will post an update if/when I receive a response.
0 Kudos

We're having this discussion in the OS 9 Release Notes thread.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=123363

Last week Shawn asked some of us with 4620/4630/4640 devices to send him our device info so he could look into the issue of Night Mode disappearing. As someone in this thread noted, and I noted in the OS 9 thread, that support article for volume modes absolutely had the 4620 and 4630 in the chart. Well, guess what? They quietly revised the article yesterday to remove both of those models, and not a peep was heard from Shawn about it.

Night Mode worked just fine in the 4620/4630/4640 for a long time with OS 8.x, and yet mysteriously those devices are no longer able to support that with OS 9, but some cheap piece of junk like the Express can? LOL smooth move, Roku.

It has become painfully clear to me that Roku doesn't really care all that much about customers with slightly older devices. They've already got your money, so have little motivation to do the right thing. Those three 2016 models are as capable or more capable than any of the current models, including the 466x Ultra. The 4640 Ultra has the optical audio output, which they stripped out of the 2017-2018 models so they could lower the price.
0 Kudos
vonenasty86
Level 7

Yes the only reason I used this Roku was for a few apps I use infrequently and for the night listening mode. I have a smart TV that is way more convenient and works well but with kids the night mode feature was great. In fact I specifically bought a Roku over it's competitors which costed less only for this feature. Now I have zero desire to use this piece of junk I will just use my Amazon fire which was half the price. What a waste. Why would they remove features like this it's idiotic.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Night listening mode disappearing on 4640 in 9.0 is a bug that will be fixed.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
Night listening mode disappearing on 4640 in 9.0 is a bug that will be fixed.

I recall you posted that a few weeks back, thanks for this confirmation.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos