Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitenack
Level 7

New to Roku: Help me with Roku TV and Private Listening

Hi all, first post.

I am in the market for a new TV.  It will be for our bedroom, and because of this I am interested in the private listening feature of Roku.  I want to make sure I know what I am getting into, otherwise I need to consider other options.

How well does the private listening mode on the Roku app work compared to the headphone jack on an enhanced remote? 

I am pretty sure I want a Roku TV as opposed to a dumb TV and a Roku box.  The reason for this is I will want all of the content, including regular TV programming to be included in the private listening.  

I like the TCL 55P607, since it has great reviews and an enhanced remote, but It will be way too big for our bedroom.  I wish they made a 40-something inch P series.  So then I am left with going with a TV that does not have a remote with a headphone jack.  My only concern is whether the private listening via the Roku app will be a seamless experience.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
whitenack
Level 7

Re: New to Roku: Help me with Roku TV and Private Listening

Or, another question would be whether there is another Roku TV out there other than the 55P607 that has an enhanced remote?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

One caution about using the headphone jack on the remote. It eats batteries quickly under normal use of the jack, and if you don't unplug your headphones when not using it your batteries will be dead within a couple of days. I've never used the app on my phone for private listening, other than to test that it works, so no idea how fast it might eat your phone battery. But I did just test it with my Samsung S8 and my Insignia TV, and the audio switched to the phone almost instantly.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
whitenack
Level 7

Thanks for the reply.  That is good information to know.  I would imagine the headphones would be left in the remote a lot out of laziness.  Having to constantly change the batteries would be a pain.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Yeah, laziness is how I discovered how fast the batteries would be gone with the headphones connected!  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos