Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tryeager
Level 7

New Ultra 4660 won't show captions

My new Roku Ultra 4660 shows no captions whether the setting is for "always on" or "on replay".  I know the shows have captions, since I still have a Roku XD that works fine.  Is it likely that my new device is defective?  Other features work, and it pulled in the latest software.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: New Ultra 4660 won't show captions

What channels/apps are you using that you are expecting the captions on? While my Ultra is the 4640, I haven't seen any issue with captions from Netflix, Vudu or Amazon. I never get captions from my local media, as no Roku supports PGS or VOBSUB embedded captions. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tryeager
Level 7

I figured it out, I think.  Look and feel and maneuvering on the Ultra is apparently very different from the 4-year old XD.  A big step down, I say.  It seems on an Ultra, there are settings for each channel.  And very cumbersome settings a that.  I nearly only watch Netflix, and the default setting for Netflix was "no captions".  When watching a show, the star-button options brings up captions and accessibility, but the setting there is irrelevant unless the individual channel setting for Netflix turns the captions on first.  Maybe other channels don't have this aggravating feature.  I'm not sure.  

Different issue:
Is there any way to turn off the preview that automatically starts playing when you page through the program offerings?  This is another annoyance with the Ultra.  At least on Netflix.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Tryeager" wrote:

Different issue:
Is there any way to turn off the preview that automatically starts playing when you page through the program offerings?  This is another annoyance with the Ultra.  At least on Netflix.  

Nope. That's Netflix. And plenty of people have complained to them about it with no success. I hate it as well, but can't do anything about it. Can't blame Roku for this. It's completely controlled by Netflix. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos