Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

New Roku Ultra - With Dolby Vision And Dolby Atmos

From the Roku Blog:

Today, we are thrilled to introduce our new streaming lineup, including the all-new and redesigned Roku Ultra and the addition of the Roku® Streambar™.

Made for cord cutters and people who love to stream, Roku Ultra offers the best performance of any Roku player, and now supports both Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos® -all for under $100. For streamers looking to add powerful streaming and premium sound to any TV, the Roku Streambar is the easiest way for you to upgrade and de-clutter your home entertainment system!

We’re also rolling out Roku OS 9.4, the latest version of our operating system, with exciting updates to improve your overall streaming experience on the Roku platform."

https://blog.roku.com/new-roku-player-lineup

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: New Roku Ultra - With Dolby Vision And Dolby Atmos

@Heyitsrick wrote:

From the Roku Blog:

We’re also rolling out Roku OS 9.4, the latest version of our operating system, with exciting updates to improve your overall streaming experience on the Roku platform."

https://blog.roku.com/new-roku-player-lineup

Oh, me.   And just when most of the problems caused by Roku OS 9.3 are finally behind us ..

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It sounds like the new Ultra won’t be available in the UK again. Why can’t we have a Roku with an ethernet port??

Roku - please release the new Ultra in the UK!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Was waiting for a new device to get wifi6 / 802.11ax and wpa3. Disappointed.  Made an account just to say that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I wish they were more detailed about Atmos support. Current Roku 4K players already support DD+ Atmos as offered by sources such as Vudu. I want to know if they are going to support bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD. If so, I need to make some new profiles for Serviio. Guess I just have to wait for OS 9.4 to come out. Roku never provides enough detail about updates. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dolby DD+ has been around for more than 3 years. 

The real issue is - Roku does NOT support Dolby Atmos for most popular streaming platforms such as Netflix and Prime Video. 

If you call them, they just does not give a straight answer about it. 

I don't think there is any hardware limitation for this, it is more of-  how they have created apps for Roku OS which currently does not allow HDMI pass through. 

As the Apple TV+ and Vudu apps are properly created, they show Atmos Support on Roku devices. 

.So the question is whether finally,  Roku OS 9.4 is going to correct this situation? Will all Roku high end devices get Dolby Atmos support for all the top apps like Disney, Netflix Prime?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@VivekDabhadkar wrote:

Dolby DD+ has been around for more than 3 years. 

The real issue is - Roku does NOT support Dolby Atmos for most popular streaming platforms such as Netflix and Prime Video. 

If you call them, they just does not give a straight answer about it. 

I don't think there is any hardware limitation for this, it is more of-  how they have created apps for Roku OS which currently does not allow HDMI pass through. 

As the Apple TV+ and Vudu apps are properly created, they show Atmos Support on Roku devices. 

.So the question is whether finally,  Roku OS 9.4 is going to correct this situation? Will all Roku high end devices get Dolby Atmos support for all the top apps like Disney, Netflix Prime?

That is not a Roku issue, that lies solely with the providers. They have determined that they won't offer Atmos on Roku devices. Roku already supports Atmos EAC-3 audio, which is used on Vudu and others. This new Roku is going to be the first that supports AC-4, which is a new audio codec that supports 7.1.4 audio channels. However, it's still a lossy audio codec, unlike Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio, which are lossless and also support the overhead channels. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos