Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

New Roku Ultra - Dolby Vision!

Roku has announced a new version of the top model Roku Ultra (I really wish they wouldn't reuse a name with the features change).

"The Roku Ultra, which comes with an enhanced voice remote, headphones and high speed HDMI cable, also supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos surround sound. You can also pair a phone or tablet to the Ultra using Bluetooth to stream audio content."

The new Bluetooth capabilities is something that has been requested in the past, as has Dolby Vision. I don't know exactly what the Atmos announcement really means, since Roku devices already support the Dolby Digital Plus version of Atmos. Perhaps it means support for TrueHD bitstreaming, but they didn't say that. 

The announcement also says Apple Air Play 2 is coming with the next major OS update. That should mean screen mirroring from iOS, as well as Siri support for controlling your Roku.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/09/28/roku-unveils-newest-ultra-streaming-player-and-smalle...

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
24 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: New Roku Ultra - Dolby Vision!

Sounds great 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Was waiting for a new device to get wifi6 / 802.11ax and wpa3. Disappointed.  Made an account just to say that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@btegu wrote:

Was waiting for a new device to get wifi6 / 802.11ax and wpa3. Disappointed.  Made an account just to say that.

Well, we don't have complete details on the new Ultra, so it's still possible that either/both of those are included. Although I would expect .11ax to be significant enough they would have mentioned it. Can't say the same for WPA3. I am unaware of anything I have that currently supports it.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

It would have been nice if they added a third programmable key, call it 3. Since the current roku accept the third key right now, you can only get it from UEI made remote like inteset 422-3 or OFA urc-7880. It works on both Roku and Roku tv's.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

It would be even nicer if they would do away with the branded buttons on the remote or at least allow us to reprogram them. Honestly, I don't see myself buying another Roku device with a remote that includes those branded buttons.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@kpluck wrote:

It would be even nicer if they would do away with the branded buttons on the remote or at least allow us to reprogram them. Honestly, I don't see myself buying another Roku device with a remote that includes those branded buttons.

That's simply a method of Roku subsidizing the cost of the player. I can understand the desire to reprogram the button, as I can understand why Roku doesn't permit it. But you'll also notice that almost every Smart TV, Blu Ray player or streaming device has a dedicated Netflix button, and none of those permit them to be re-mapped either. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I understand they make money off the branded buttons. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to lose the branding and add customizing abilities. It would seem simple enough to offer such a product on their website.

I currently have Samsung and Toshiba smart TVs in my house (both less than 3 years old). They both offer Netflix apps, and they both have unbranded remotes. Although I do have a Panasonic 4K disc player that does have a Netflix button.

I know I am fighting an uphill battle here and that most people simply don't care. To each, their own. I just wish they gave us an option. I am willing to pay for it. Ultimately I suppose the thing to do is just purchase a good quality universal remote.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@kpluck wrote:

I understand they make money off the branded buttons. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to lose the branding and add customizing abilities. It would seem simple enough to offer such a product on their website.

I agree completely with you. As you said, it's probably a losing battle. But having customizable buttons would be worth an extra $5, which is likely as much as they get by selling the current button assignments. 

Dan
Highlighted
Level 9

This is interesting…

On Roku's webpage for the Streambar it clearly shows the remote with the buttons unbranded.

But looking at press images on various tech websites about the new product, the pictures vary. Some have branded buttons and some don't. That seems like a problem to me. The images should be consistent and, more importantly, accurate.Look before you buy: Roku Streambar packaging

0 Kudos