Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrmeans

New Roku 4 (will not boot)

Already have a Roku 4 that works fine. Have a second Roku 4 that I was going to setup for my daughter. The first time during setup, it started to update and came back with verification error 006. Tried many times to get it to update but would not update. Same  006 error. Now when it boots up, it stops at the splash screen with ROKU waving around. Unplugging and restarting, same thing. What is my next step since it will not go past the splash screen?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku 4 (will not boot)

Factory reset - find the reset button on the bottom and with the power connected press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@renojim wrote:

Factory reset - find the reset button on the bottom and with the power connected press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds.

If it still will not complete the setup, some people with this problem have reported success by using a wifi hot spot on their mobile phone as the internet connection. If/when it completes the update successfully then they could switch it back to using their home wifi network.

If you don't have a phone hot spot available you could take it to a friend or neighbor's and try using their wifi for the update.

Note: this has not been universally successful, but many people have reported it worked for them.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Does it have an SD card installed? If so, remove it and try again. A corrupted file on that card can cause boot problems.

DBDukes

The suggestions of @renojim@makaiguy, and @andyross are all good ones. But, I gotta ask: is it really a new Roku 4? Because that device was discontinued in 2016. replaced by the Ultra.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos