Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doesitmatter
Level 9

New 9.2 Update Horrible

This clearly wasn't tested fully before release. I have a 2018 Ultra, it is taking forever to load channels, when they do load the picture is grainy or fuzzy now.

So we add a bunch of stuff but break the main purpose of the device. There should have been an addition for us to return to a previous version.

40 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: New 9.2 Update Horrible

@doesitmatter wrote:

This clearly wasn't tested fully before release. I have a 2018 Ultra, it is taking forever to load channels, when they do load the picture is grainy or fuzzy now.

So we add a bunch of stuff but break the main purpose of the device. There should have been an addition for us to return to a previous version.

Of course it was tested. I'm one of the testers. I have it on my 4640 Ultra (2017) and it doesn't exhibit any of what you mention. Most of my testing was on a 1080 plasma, but I replaced it two weeks ago with a Samsung 4K set. I have no issues at all with 9.2. 

Sometimes a factory reset will clear up issues like you are reporting, and sometimes not. All it takes is some time to re-enter your credentials for the channels that require it. Or, something in your box may now be broken, although what I can't guess, as I'm unfamiliar with how they are constructed internally. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
doesitmatter
Level 9

@atc98092 wrote:

Of course it was tested. I'm one of the testers. I have it on my 4640 Ultra (2017) and it doesn't exhibit any of what you mention. Most of my testing was on a 1080 plasma, but I replaced it two weeks ago with a Samsung 4K set. I have no issues at all with 9.2. 

Sometimes a factory reset will clear up issues like you are reporting, and sometimes not. All it takes is some time to re-enter your credentials for the channels that require it. Or, something in your box may now be broken, although what I can't guess, as I'm unfamiliar with how they are constructed internally. 

Oh, since none of the issues present itself on your particular model, I guess all the other complaints are just problems created by an end user that they didn't have prior to the update.

The fact you go directly to a factory reset, speaks volumes. Which btw, I already did after trying other things. A factory reset shouldn't be your first fix.... ever....This is what lazy devs on other forums tell people to do because they couldn't be bothered to either admit there is a problem or they don't know how to fix anything when there is one. They just enjoy going around telling people they're part of the community. It doesn't impress me...

So you assume my box maybe broken but don't know how the internal hardware works. So why state it?  But let's say you're right, right before the update, channels loaded just fine, the picture was clear and everything worked. Immediately after the update install, delayed channel loading, picture is now grainy and fuzzy. Settings are the same, but somehow an update broke my box. Then in that case, when will Roku be sending me a new box for breaking the one I have? By your logic if I bring my car into a mechanic to fix my brakes and in doing so he breaks my lug nuts and puts a hole in my tire, guess who needs to fix and replace those items? In this case, Roku pushes out an update that in turn damages the hardware, they pay for new hardware and send me a replacement.... See how that works.. Yes? No? Or am I about to get to an excuse.

Face facts, the update has issues and wasn't ready for prime time.... And before giving me another one of your useless responses, I have done beta testing for other devices in the past so you're not dealing with someone who doesn't know his way around various devices.

atc98092
Level 15

I was in no way implying it was the fault of the user, or some other external issue. My recommendation is from experience with other users having problems. Yes, it's a severe attempt as a first response, but there's really nothing else that could be tried with such issues. I could suggest trying a different HDMI cable, or different port in the TV/AVR, but that is highly unlikely to be what's causing problems. Sometimes something happens during an upgrade, and a clean reset will clear the problem. If it doesn't, then a hardware failure of some kind is the most likely culprit. 

I offered a possible solution, which you have discarded. That is your privilege. You didn't mention you had already tried it. I have never encountered your specific issues, nor have I ever seen similar reports here by other users. Good luck finding a resolution.  

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
doesitmatter
Level 9

@atc98092 wrote:

I was in no way implying it was the fault of the user, or some other external issue. My recommendation is from experience with other users having problems. Yes, it's a severe attempt as a first response, but there's really nothing else that could be tried with such issues. I could suggest trying a different HDMI cable, or different port in the TV/AVR, but that is highly unlikely to be what's causing problems. Sometimes something happens during an upgrade, and a clean reset will clear the problem. If it doesn't, then a hardware failure of some kind is the most likely culprit. 

I offered a possible solution, which you have discarded. That is your privilege. You didn't mention you had already tried it. I have never encountered your specific issues, nor have I ever seen similar reports here by other users. Good luck finding a resolution.  

As I stated, it is not something to recommend as a first solution ever. If you didn't know what I tried prior, asking would have gone a long way.  I had also tried a different hdmi and a different port as well. It was one of the first things as I know how Roku devices are very touchy in this regard for some unknown reason.

Well, I went into one of the "menus", clicked on new update server, then update, and it went through a download. Luckily for  me it installed 9.1 4919 back on the device somehow. My picture is now back to being clear instead of fuzzy and grainy. Channels are loading again and no buffering.

Considering the complaints I am seeing about 9.2, it's clear this should not have been pushed out. But Roku also has a history of ignoring their customers and problems until they get around to pushing out a new update to fix things. I use Roku boxes daily, but they are losing market share so they better get themselves together....

atc98092
Level 15

I'm glad you found the hidden menu to revert to 9.1. I suggest powering your Roku off when not in use, or it will just install 9.2 again. Also, that reversion doesn't always work, so ensuring you stay on 9.1 would be a good idea. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Visiter555
Level 7

Same grainy picture on two of my three Ultras.

the sticks are also some grainy and some no problems. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@doesitmatter  Thanks for letting us know about the issue you were running into. I'd like to gather more information about your home setup to see what may have been causing the issue you ran into. As @atc98092 mentioned, we certainly go through testing for each new release, but there are a number of external factors that can affect performance, including networking equipment, configurations, etc. 

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, along with the exact make/model of wireless router/modem you are using and any other information about your home network setup that may be helpful. 

I'll follow up with you from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
ronfelder
Level 8

i hav seen and used five devices using the latest update with zero problems.

Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
sarsho
Level 7

I don't know about horrible, but not as great as they made it out to be. There seems to be more fluff than substance. It seems my Premier+(4630X) updated without hiccups, but no astounding improvements either. My Roku3(4230X1) had to be factory reset for it to work, and I think that it wrecked the microSD card that was in it. 

I know these updates are tested, but I'm sure not all tests and testers had flawless results. There are countless things that could go wrong, not all things can be known or tested. It seems obvious that there are update problems because enough people have been complaining. What I find most disturbing, but was alluded to in other posts is the lack of responsiveness from Roku. They could at least provide an Update Issues section on their Support page. 

0 Kudos