Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPPMN
Level 8

New 2020 Roku Ultra Not Recognizing HDCP 2.2

I purchased the new 2020 Roku Ultra (4800R) yesterday and immediately had issues with playback of 4K content. I first got an error message for HDCP 2.2 and it recommended unplugging power and HDMI to both the Roku and TV and restarting. I finally got the Roku to recognize 4K display in the settings. But when I went to play 4K content I got a purple screen and just audio. I tried changing various settings on the TV, but no luck. I plugged in my old Roku Ultra LT and immediately had 4K playback again. Anyone else have this issue and if so how did you resolve?
16 Replies
b2net
Level 9

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra Not Recognizing HDCP 2.2

Our Roku Ultra 2020 would not recognize 4K+Dolby Vision (only 1080p+Dolby Vision) yet would recognize 4K+HDR despite the fact our TV has capability for both.  Then after 2 days our unit has stopped working altogether.

0 Kudos
LarryBrad
Level 7

Since the problem has never occurred on my Apple TV 4K unit, I swapped HDMI ports and it’s certified 3’ HDMI 2.1 cable to eliminate that potential problem link.  Although this is still a random occurrence (just like before the swap) that either recovers on its own or with a Roku Ultra 2020 reboot, but it still happens.  It usually occurs playing Netflix 4k Dolby Vision ATMOS programming. Again, this has never happen on other 4K streaming units that I use through the same equipment set.  Extremely happy with the overall quality of 4k HDR ATMOS from all 4k enabled app host on the Roku Ultra 2020 but this HDCP 2.2 error is a definite spoiler for the kickoff week of this new streamer.  Hopefully their is a temporary simple workaround and a permanent software fix coming?

0 Kudos
JPSCT96
Level 7

Yep, same issues here. Upgraded and moved a working 2019 4K Ultra to a new location and put the 2020 in the theater and throwing up HDCP 2.2 errors. Can easily swap back the old unit and it works so it must be something with new first week software and new box. I have new 3.2 cables coming tomorrow to try and see if that helps but hoping Roku is paying attention... 

0 Kudos
mattyhoops
Level 7

I am having a similar issue with my new Ultra not recognizing HDCP 2.2 on my Marantz SR 6012 receiver. Directly connected to the TV it works fine. But I want to connect the Ultra directly to receiver, which has all its HDMI inputs HDCP 2.2 compliant. Upon connecting it to the receiver with the included HDMI cable the resolution tops out at 720P HDCP 1.4 and playing any content I get the purple screen and sometimes the HDCP error. I connect a FireStick 4K to the same port and it has no issues with HDCP and playing 4K Dolby Vision content. The cable is fine also because when I connect the Ultra directly to the TV it has no issues and plays 4K DV. So it seems to be a software or compatibility issue with the new Ultra connecting through a receiver. Has anyone been able to connect the new Ultra through an AV receiver? If I can't get it to connect through the receiver I will return the Ultra. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mackguyver
Level 9

I have it connected through a preamp and I've had a few random HDCP pop-ups, but they went away within a second or two and didn't affect playback.  I haven't had any more after the first day or two last week when I first started using this new player.

You might want to try connecting the player to an HDMI input closer to the HDMI output.  Many receivers/pre-amps have a known issue where the inputs furthest from the output lose just enough electrical signal to cause issues, particularly with things like HDCP and 4K HDR at 60fps. 

0 Kudos
mattyhoops
Level 7

Thanks, I'll try that. I have been connecting the Ultra and the 4k Firestick through the front HDMI (not terribly easy to get to the back). But the Firestick sends 4K dolby vision through that front port just fine without any HDCP errors

0 Kudos
KenLane
Level 7

Same issue. New Roku 2020 does not recognize 4K UHD from my Denon receiver. This is very frustrating. Will have to return it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mattyhoops 

Thanks for the post.

Are you still experiencing this issue? Have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your Roku device? 

If you are still experiencing the issue, please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-have you tried connecting your device to the TV directly to see if you are still experiencing the issue

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KenLane 

Thanks for the post.

Have you made sure to turn on HDMI 2.0 on your AVR?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos