Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ForkWNY
Binge Watcher

Netflix text-based info stats option gone after Roku 10.0.0 build 4177-C2 update 4/21/21

Jump to solution

Some time overnight, 4/20 into the early hours of 4/21, my Roku ultra 4800X updated to 10.0.0 build 4177-C2. One changed behavior I've noticed is that the asterisk ' * ' key (when double-pressed on a Netflix movie title) no longer enables or disables the text-based INFO stats in the upper-left of the screen. The asterisk button brings up the options menu within Netflix no matter what. Press it too many times and the annoying voice accessibility menu ends up getting enabled. 

Double-pressing the asterisk button worked like a charm (up until today) to enable/disable stats in Netflix, now it definitely does not work. I just used the feature last night (on 4/20) to enable/disable stats (text in upper-left of screen) in Netflix, and this afternoon when watching a movie, the feature is broken and/or entirely removed. Seems that the Roku update changed something, and I can't find documentation on how to enable the stats/info feature within Netflix. Is there another key combo I should be using from the remote? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ForkWNY
Binge Watcher

Re: Netflix text-based info stats option gone after Roku 10.0.0 build 4177-C2 update 4/21/21

Jump to solution

Update:

This issue is fixed in the latest 10.0.0 build (4195-C2), pushed out to my Roku device on May 8th, 2021. The ** double asterisk works as it did previously for text output info/stats display within Netflix. I hope this feature remains active for the foreseeable future as the stats are useful for troubleshooting as well as knowing that you're getting the service you're paying for every month.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Netflix text-based info stats option gone after Roku 10.0.0 build 4177-C2 update 4/21/21

Jump to solution

I thought the "*" thing with Netflix disappeared years ago. You had to hit "*" BEFORE starting a video, then do that again to turn it off.

0 Kudos
ForkWNY
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Right...exactly what I've been doing in Netflix. Since the 10.0.0 build 4177-C2 update, that feature is gone.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ForkWNY wrote:

Right...exactly what I've been doing in Netflix. Since the 10.0.0 build 4177-C2 update, that feature is gone.

I can confirm the new/changed Options (*) behavior with NetFlix under 10.0.0.4177 - it always activates the Roku global settings, even in the menu/main UI, preventing enabling the info/stats.

We'll just have to report/complain to Roku/NetFlix, though I doubt there will be much response.

ForkWNY
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming! The issue seems to coincide with the latest Roku software update so there's probably not much Netflix can do. I can't tell when Netflix was last updated, but I know the ** asterisk was working the night of April 20th, right before the 4177 build was rolled out to my particular device. It's not a major issue by any means but I've always activated the info text in the upper-left screen for Netflix shows/movies in order to verify Atmos/2160p and bit rate streaming throughput. It would be preferable to be able to enable/disable the info text in the global menu rather than double-pressing ** as I found it didn't always work reliably. Sometimes it took a couple of tries to activate and/or disable it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Netflix themselves altered that functionality a long time ago. Then some users discovered it could still be activated by hitting * before starting a video playback. If it's now completely gone, it might have been tied to OS 10.0, but it's still Netflix that did away with it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ForkWNY
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I can confirm that the ** double asterisk remote trick "info text" still works on the latest Netflix app running on a Roku TCL TV running OS 9.4.0.

OS 10.0.0 has not yet been rolled out onto my TCL Roku 4KTV.

0 Kudos
ForkWNY
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Update:

This issue is fixed in the latest 10.0.0 build (4195-C2), pushed out to my Roku device on May 8th, 2021. The ** double asterisk works as it did previously for text output info/stats display within Netflix. I hope this feature remains active for the foreseeable future as the stats are useful for troubleshooting as well as knowing that you're getting the service you're paying for every month.