Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Need to change resolution, but can't see screen

I have the box set on 720p, even though my TV can only show 1080i when it comes to HD. So, I need to set it back to SD - but I can't see the screen! Can someone help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

hard reset

Try a hard reset.

[HOME] 5 times, [UP] once, [REW] 2 times, [FF] 2 times
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Reset

You can also reset by changing your connections If you move from HDMI or component to the lowest level connection (that only plays 480), yuou can see the screen once again and reset
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: hard reset

"momerath" wrote:
Try a hard reset.

[HOME] 5 times, [UP] once, [REW] 2 times, [FF] 2 times

When the player comes back up, it will still be in HD display mode.

Restart player by unplugging it then plugging it back in to ensure that you are on the Home Screen. The key sequence to set the player back to an SD display mode (from the Home Screen) is:

Left
Select (takes you to Settings)
Right
Select (takes you into Display Type)
Right (×1 for 4:3; ×2 for 16:9)
Select (selects display)
Down
Select (confirms selection, player should reboot)
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? [url=http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=134125#134125:27yxzvgn]Now you can![/url:27yxzvgn]
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: hard reset

"eri3k" wrote:
"momerath" wrote:
Try a hard reset.

[HOME] 5 times, [UP] once, [REW] 2 times, [FF] 2 times

When the player comes back up, it will still be in HD display mode.

Restart player by unplugging it then plugging it back in to ensure that you are on the Home Screen. The key sequence to set the player back to an SD display mode (from the Home Screen) is:

Left
Select (takes you to Settings)
Right
Select (takes you into Display Type)
Right (×1 for 4:3; ×2 for 16:9)
Select (selects display)
Down
Select (confirms selection, player should reboot)


Worked perfectly, thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Need to change resolution, but can't see screen

For Ultra (2018), this worked for me:


  • Home 3x (just to be safe)

  • Up (Settings)

  • Ok

  • Down 4x, not three (Display Settings)

  • OK

  • Down 1x (off autodetect, onto 720 resolution)

  • Ok

  • Wait 5 seconds (applying)

  • Ok 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Need to change resolution, but can't see screen

"Robkelley" wrote:
For Ultra (2018), this worked for me:


  • Home 3x (just to be safe)

  • Up (Settings)

  • Ok

  • Down 4x, not three (Display Settings)

  • OK

  • Down 1x (off autodetect, onto 720 resolution)

  • Ok

  • Wait 5 seconds (applying)

  • Ok 

Thank you for posting this, I confirmed it and posted it elsewhere where it was being asked about. That down 4x is the key for Ultra. I also failed a few times not understanding that after waiting 5 seconds I'd need to press OK one more time while still blind...after that very last OK (and a few seconds) is when something should finally be visible. 
Roku needs to make a default fix for this. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Need to change resolution, but can't see screen

THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!!!! It worked! You saved me a lot of trouble!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Need to change resolution, but can't see screen

As of June 1, 2020  this is now back to 3x down (not four).  FML.

running 9.3.0, build 4170-46

4660x Roku Ultra

Also, this time I found retracing my steps that the Ultra was not very responsive to my remote (skipped an arrow down).  So go slowly but firmly on key presses. 

"Robkelley" wrote:
For Ultra (2018), this worked for me:


  • Home 3x (just to be safe)

 

  • Up (Settings)

 

  • Ok

 

  • Down 3x, not four (Display Settings)

 

  • OK

 

  • Down 1x (off autodetect, onto 720 resolution)

 

  • Ok

 

  • Wait 5 seconds (applying)

 

  • Ok 

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Need to change resolution, but can't see screen

OMG!! I went with your advice/method and it totally worked!! So thanks for posting this because i wouldnt have figured it out at all! So again thxs so much!

0 Kudos