Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Need a program to scan my libray for Roku Ultra compatible files

I have a fairly large collection of video files on my Synology NAS Server. They are in various formats which my OLD WD-TV players supported, but Roku does not. Obviously, AVI is NOT supported, however, I find that SOME MP4 and MKV files also do not play. Is there a PC program that will scan my library and output a LIST of compatible (or non-compatible) files which I can then transcode offline to make them compatible? Using the Transcoding capabilities of Plex, etc., is NOT an option because it slows everything down to a crawl due to the overhead of that type of software. Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Need a program to scan my libray for Roku Ultra compatible files

Yes.

The Roku player can be finicky. Ive had success with FAT32 filesystem.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-an...

You didnt mention your PC OS But I know these programs exist. You can also do it on a cloud service

on the web upload and download. But automating it for all your files I dont know.

I have tons of vids as well on various HDD's. I just mirror them over to my TV via a separate HDMI

cable and port. Because I have every codec installed known to man.

Hers an example of type of cloud converter; https://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mov

Or amybe you can find something here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_converters

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

My answer is not an easy task. Use Mediainfo on each file to see what codecs has been used, then compare to the list Roku supports. An easier way may be to just run them one by one through a program to make them roku compatible.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

As you've discovered, you can't just look at the container (MP4, MKV, AVI) and know what codecs are inside. Especially with MKV, which can in theory hold any codec. The major problem is that Roku not only has limited codec support, but limited container as well. Is there an easy to use program that can scan your files? None I'm aware of. Someone with better skills that I might be able to create a script that uses FFMPEG to scan a folder and output the results into a file. That's about all I can think of.

Another option is to use a DLNA server that is capable of transcoding and run it on a PC with enough power, and use your NAS just as the file storage location. Plex, Emby, Serviio, or any number of other products could easily handle the transcoding. If you have a very large number in incompatable files, it could take a very long time to use something like Handbrake to convert them into a Roku compatible file. In my experience, each file takes at least as long as the file playing time, if not a touch more. So a 2 hour movie might take 2 1/2 hours to convert. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 16

You also risk corruption in such a task.

This is not rare.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos