Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Need Help-Roku Express Night Listening Mode option nowhere to be found

Jump to solution

Fakespoons: I am still going back and forth with Roku Support on this.

Their first response was that the Express didn't offer Night Listening Mode. When I pointed out that their own Roku comparison chart said that it did, they did a 180 degree turn, agreed that it should, and are now trying to figure out why it doesn't work for me.

So far all they have suggested is system updates and resets, which haven't changed anything. They recently requested TV screen shot pictures of different settings, which I have sent them.

Be warned that Roku Support operate only only by email, and take 3 - 4 business days to respond each time.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Haoleguy thanks for the heads up. I’m shocked that they asked you for screenshots considering so many people are having this problem. It’s all over this forum and others around the internet. Anyway, good luck.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@fakespoons 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also not able to access the volume options on my brand new Express+. Is it because this is a WalMart exclusive or is there another reason the volume options are not available?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R How do I PM you? Edit: never mind, I figured it out. PM sent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ok so Roku customer support got back to me about this issue. Apparently, all the new model Roku Expresses do not support this feature. It seems they have purposefully downgraded the Express to intice you to buy the more expensive ones. It is shame because I am sure the know this is a popular feature and they realized they could leverage that to upset their customers.

Fortunately my Express is still within the return period. I ordered a soundbar with the same feature so now I can just continue to use the SmartCast built into my Vizio TV. 

Overall I am pretty disappointed with this outcome. Time to save money for Apple TV and be done with this mess. 

Here is the response from Roku: 

"Thank you for contacting Roku. This email is regarding the volume modes on Roku ( 3930X).

We understand that you are looking for the night listening mode on the Roku. Unfortunately, this feature is not currently supported on Roku Express 3930 model. We had shared this feedback with our team."

@Haoleguy FYI

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

What a gong show.

This is the first response that I received from Roku Support about a month ago:

“The night listening mode was only supported on few Roku devices (Roku Ultra for example). Roku express models have never had Night listening mode. This feature was removed about a year ago and we have not heard of plans on bringing it back.”

When I pointed out that their own comparison chart on their own Roku Support page showed that the Express does in fact have Night Listening Mode, they did a 180. (Look under “Roku OS” in the chart in the following link):

https://www.roku.com/en-ca/products/compare

I haven’t heard from them in 2 weeks. I guess they are still trying to figure out what is going on.

So WTF? Is their own advertising still wrong?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Haoleguy Check your model number. I bought an Express 3930, and apparently only 3910s support Night Mode. That indicates to me that they purposefully removed the feature on the newer Express models. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

So here is the latest from Roku Support:

"According to the engineering department, the Night listening feature is not available on the Roku Express model, it was listed on the comparison chart by mistake. They said the comparison chart would be rectified in few days. We apologize for this inconvenience."

I have asked them what they are offering to customers that bought the Express relying on the comparison chart. No response yet. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Haoleguy wow, it's beyond crazy that it took months of communications, screenshots, and wrong answers for them to finally say it was a marketing mistake. I hope they eventually hook you up with an upgraded model. I already returned my Express and found a different solution. I've had another issue with my 4k Streaming Stick, so I'm pretty much just done with Roku. It's a shame, because I like their products, but I just hate these constant frustrations. I'm saving for an Apple TV now. Good luck though, and post back with any updates! I'll keep following the thread. Cheers.