Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wingmanzz
Level 8

NEW Roku Media Player broken for large media libaries

The latest update needs to be rolled back and tested.

It does not work for large music libraries.

I have about 12k mp3s. It used to load them fine to enable shuffling my entire library, now it gets to about 20% on the spinning progress wheel and progresses at a crawl, then stalls out entirely or crashes after about 15 minutes of loading when I try to play a song and put my mp3s in a shuffle mode.

This is not tested, period. Cant be.

5 Replies
Psilobite
Level 11

Re: NEW Roku Media Player broken for large media libaries

Don't you just love software and hardware that works against you as a user?

If I had to guess, some corporate officer wants the player to look more "modern" or something, or didn't like the way the original player looked, so they gave the job of coding a whole new player to people who have never done something like this before, as the person or people who wrote the original media player have probably moved on to bigger and better things.

For corporate officers the way things look or are laid out is a huge all encompassing end-all and be-all. I once worked for a company that has a very functional database system that was completely destroyed by the new CEO because he "liked the way Lotus Notes looks" so he mandated everything be switched to Notes. If you've ever worked retail, it's common when "corporate" managers visit the store all they focus on is how they want to change the way the store is laid out and move products around, which does nothing but frustrate both managers and customers alike. They think moving things around and changing the "look" is going to make things seem "new" and "fresh" when they are doing nothing but hindering any chance of success, and the store eventually closes.

I know that's a lot of words but I believe it's the same type of thing happening here.

wingmanzz
Level 8

Roku, a TOTALLY acceptable solution to us media player/UPnP heads is just provide a "Roku Media Player Classic" It can even be a hidden channel.

But this is nonsense. A great deal of us have spent HOURS, DAYS, WEEKS making this functionality work us in the way we use your product. You have broken it.

I have tried Plex--it sucks, its not an option. We made the investment in your mediaplayer and devices, do NOT make us go back and reconfigure our stuff because of a capricious change on your end.

morgandy75
Level 9

Do you player the music through external stereo? And do you keep the television power on when you play music? 

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Level 11

Definitely need "Roku Media Player Classic" added to streaming channels, hidden or not.

Especially since there are still so many issues.

Reaxions
Level 8

They truly scr*wed the pooch on this one. The new media player is beyond terrible from a functionality perspective. Everything takes forever to load, now; I get the spinning for 15-20 seconds before it finally decides to time out or actually play. Then, in addition to every other terrible change they've made, there used to be row counts, so I'd know in a large playlist when I got to the new content at the bottom. Now, the rows just start over from the beginning with no numerical designation through them, so I never have any idea where I actually am in the list. I swear, developers never actually use their own products, so they have no idea about design thinking or true user experience. This is so reminiscent of the way iTunes 12 screwed up playlist functionality, which is what caused me to switch to MediaMonkey and subsequently abandon all Apple products forever. Way to go shoot yourself in the face, Roku. I have three Roku Ultras, and they're all about to get tossed into a dumpster fire if this isn't fixed quickly. 

0 Kudos