Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tycorc
Channel Surfer

My child just got a horror film as after hitting a link on the home screen

My 6 year old child just got an ad popup for the horror film Black Christmas, after hitting a link to watch a kids show 'Super Geek Heros' on the Roku home page! WTF.
How do I disable that large ad link on the right side of my Roku home page so my kids don't do this again. Or is there a kids profile setting so Roku can be smart enough not to play a horror film for my 6 & 2 year olds? Especially after they selected the link for a tv show targeted for 2-8 yr olds. Not impressed.
10 REPLIES 10
tycorc
Channel Surfer

Re: My child just got a horror film as after hitting a link on the home screen

Does anyone from Roku even check these??
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@tycorc wrote:
Does anyone from Roku even check these??

Not on a weekend, no.

You can't disable the ads shown on the home page. If it was something that appeared on the screensaver, you can change to a different screensaver, like the Roku clock, which has no promotions. 

My personal opinion is to never click anything on the home page ad. Perhaps then Roku would realize the limited amount of revenue they get from them isn't worth the anger from users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tycorc
Channel Surfer

Thanks Dan. Unfortunately it's not the screen saver, but the main page on the Roku home screen.
I don't even mind the ad if it didn't link my children to horror film adult content. At least Roku could be smart enough to give families the option to keep the ads but turn off the link option.
Well hopefully a representative from Roku can chime in on Monday and explain the issue.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Roku Guru

Take a look here:

Parental Controls on Roku

0 Kudos
tycorc
Channel Surfer

Thanks Rick. So it looks like they have parental pins to purchasing, and parental controls within different apps downloaded on the Roku. But nothing for the Roku itself. And nothing that tells Roku I don't want them playing an R rated trailer for my 6 yr old when he hits their front page link for a little kids show.
0 Kudos
tycorc
Channel Surfer

Bump for anyone from Roku to respond

0 Kudos
tjkrings
Channel Surfer

This is seriously ridiculous that Roku can't support this level of parental control. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tjkrings,

Thanks for the inquiry.

We currently do not have the feature for parental control on Roku devices directly. But we do have parental control for The Roku channel and the Roku PIN feature.

For more information about using the Roku PIN code, visit our Support page here: How do I create or update the PIN (Personal ... - Roku

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Mrmullins

This is entirely unacceptable. This is a very simple ask—and entirely predictable. An advert for Insidious just came up on the Roku Home Screen. VERY inappropriate for children to see or accidentally click.  give us the ability to opt out of R or Horror or you don’t care about the consequences to children. Not a good look.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos