Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrwl
Channel Surfer

Re: My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

This does seem to be an issue between Roku and the HBO Max app. We have closed captioning on while we watch the ABC app. Switch over to NBC app, and the closed captioning remains. Switch to the History channel app and closed captioning is still on. Same thing with Disney+, closed captioning still turned on. But as soon as we make the jump to the HBO Max app, closed captioning turns off. This happens with our TLC tv as well as with a Samsung TV with a Roku box.

Delite
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes. I looked at a number of ROKU apps yesterday to see if they were not holding prior closed captioning settings when switching shows or exiting the app(s).

As far as I can tell, HBO Max is the only one that is not holding settings, resetting to no CC while in the app, (not exiting) and only switching to a new show or episode in same binge watch. I am not totally sure when this started happening, but it has been irritating me for a couple of weeks now.

vrwl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention in my previous post: One other app that keeps the close captioning settings turned on is Amazon Prime. So that app is ok as well.

0 Kudos
Pam81

Jump to solution

Have you found a solution? I'm having the same problem with Roku 4. It never used to happen. 

HazyWave
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Having the same issue for the past few weeks with my completely updated Streambar Pro.  Settings are set to have captions Always On, but I'm still having to turn them on almost every time I start to watch something.  Have tried restarting but that makes no difference, and it's not app specific.  Have had this issue with Hulu, Britbox, Prime, Hbo, Netflix, and others.  Was hoping this might be rectified with the OS 11 update, but that still hasn't been sent to my machine yet.

Trimhorn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

NOW TONIGHT 4/4 THE CAPTIONS STAY ON !!!!

HBO..NETFLIX...AMAZON PRIME...CBS NEWS ...ALL GOOD

Somebody fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
HazyWave
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just had to turn it on for Showtime as soon as I started watching so no, it is definitely not fixed.

Trimhorn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

HBO is now working on my Roku as of last night. I don't have Showtime but the issue seems to be caused by the Providers instead of Roku. Hopefully Showtime will fix soon.

The reason I think it is providers is that the fix showed up at different times from the different providers.

IMHO

rawdmon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is definitely still a problem for me even after force updating the hbomax app. Every time I load the app or it switches videos it turns the closed captioning off on the roku not only for the hbomax app but globally. Clearly there's a bug in the hbomax app that needs fixing. It would also be nice if roku could add some option to allow us to lock the caption setting to on and prevent channels from messing with it. This is really annoying having to turn it back on all the time. 

HazyWave
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, I'm glad it's working for you.  It didn't earlier today for me with Prime or Criterion, and after just checking to see if the HBO app was current it didn't there either.  It's clearly still an issue.