Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ab1232

Re: My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

Still not working here either, and it's definitely not just the settings. Also on a Roku TCL.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts regarding closed captioning turning off by itself.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-exact steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-when did you start seeing this issue
-what OS where you on when you were not seeing this issue, and what OS are you on when you do see this issue

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cappuccino
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

Even though I have closed captioning set to "on," my captioning is off (not working) and it appears to be related to an update that occurred approximately one week ago.  My captioning is off on all channels.

I have a Hisense Roku TV and I love it.  But now the captioning is not on. I have had this TV for a few months and this has never happened before.  

Roku TV: G224X

Hisense model: 7Series-65

Serial number: ... Is it safe to post that here? It begins with X01300.

Device ID: S0C8516H6ERT

Software version: 11.0.0 build 4193-CH

Software was last updated on May 13 12:20 am. 

When did I notice the issue? A few days ago.

Steps to reproduce: turn on TV, go to any channel, closed captioning is already on--but it isn't working. Go in and check all settings, confirm all settings are set to have close captioning on, but it isn't working.

Tried closed captioning on live TV (both OTA, using antenna, and "live TV" streaming channels).

I tried changing the closed captioning settings from the default of "Captioning Track: Default" to "Captioning Track: Service 1" and "Captioning Track: CC1" but that didn't fix the problem.  I also checked for software updates (there are no new ones) and turned the TV off and on. The problem occurs on all OTA channels, including: NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, PBS, CW, and on all streaming "Live TV" channels I have tested, including: MeTV, Movies, Grit, Get-TV, Charge, CourtTV, Laff, Cinevault, Bon Appetit, Architectural Digest, and every other "live TV" channel I tuned to.

I then tested Roku apps. All Roku apps/"channels" I tested work fine, including STARZ, Tubi, YouTube,  PBS, and more.

It seems to be an issue on with Roku and live TV channels.  If I had to pinpoint a cause, I would say the update one week ago.

*****IMPORTANT NOTE: It IS working for me on Roku apps with it individually set within each app. It is NOT working at all for ANY live TV channels, including OTA channels and "live TV" streaming channels. Please relay this to your software engineers.*****

#closedcaptioning #closedcaption #RokuTV #liveTV #OTA #Hisense #HisenseTV

65" Hisense Roku TV (Costco model #65R7G5)
OTA TV antenna (indoor $20 RCA rabbit ears)
cappuccino
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Weird ... after I went into various Roku apps and confirmed that the closed captioning is working within the Roku apps, when I returned to live TV, believe it or not, close captioning is now working on all channels. Smiley Surprised  I don't know what happened to cause the closed captioning to jumpstart, but in case this workaround helps anyone else, that's what my experience has been.

emikoala
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm having this issue with my TCL Roku TV 7117X, version 11.0.0:4193. 

I press * to bring up the TV's menu, navigate to Accessibility & captions > Closed captioning and change it from Off to On Replay.

At some point later that day or the next day I go back to trigger captions on a line of dialogue I missed and notice that the captions don't appear. I press * and navigate back to Accessibility & captions > Closed captioning and the setting has reverted back to Off and I have to change it back to On Replay again. 

This has become a daily occurrence sometime in the last several weeks and happens regardless of which channel/app I'm using, and is in the TV's native settings menu, not an app setting. It's not only that the captions don't appear but I'm able to confirm that the TV setting has reverted from what I selected. I live alone and my cat doesn't use the remote well so I'm 100% certain nobody is changing the setting intentionally.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@emikoala

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to investigate this issue further, but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cappuccino
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny,

My closed captioning on my Roku TV is not working again.  Please see my post three posts up to see all of the detail you ask in your questions.

Tags (2)
emikoala
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version

"I'm having this issue with my TCL Roku TV 7117X, version 11.0.0:4193."

Serial number: YS00KS466382 (FSU8AK466382)

-does this issue occur on a specific channel?

"This ... happens regardless of which channel/app I'm using, and is in the TV's native settings menu, not an app setting. It's not only that the captions don't appear but I'm able to confirm that the TV setting has reverted from what I selected."

-tracker ID when this issue occurs

ID generated shortly after this most recently happened: 82-233-028. 

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

"I press * to bring up the TV's menu, navigate to Accessibility & captions > Closed captioning and change it from Off to On Replay.

At some point later that day or the next day I go back to trigger captions on a line of dialogue I missed and notice that the captions don't appear. I press * and navigate back to Accessibility & captions > Closed captioning and the setting has reverted back to Off and I have to change it back to On Replay again. " 

For about 1 day last week, the issue seemed to have stopped, then it started up again, except now instead of repeatedly reverting to "off" it's repeatedly reverting to "always on."

PS - You are of course aware that pressing the home button 5 times and back button 5 times closes the app while I'm watching it. It's not great that you can't provide support without asking me to wait for the issue to occur and then stop watching the show midway through to generate a support ID. The caption settings changing themselves is a mild annoyance, but it's less of an annoyance than having to abruptly go back to the home screen in the middle of the show.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@emikoala

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you trying only display the closed caption on replay, or did you want it always on?

In addition, to selecting the closed captions during playback (pressing the * button within a channel), have you tried going into the Roku TV Settings > Accessibility > Closed Captions > selecting your choice?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Whargoul

Jump to solution

I turn them "Always on" in settings.

Then I turn them on in the app I'm using.

When I start the movie they don't come on and when I check the settings they are turned off again.

This is getting frustrating.