Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janthony21
Reel Rookie

My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Streaming Stick and I use captioning at all times. Several days ago I noticed that when I turn the TV off and then on again, or switch streaming services (like Netflix to Acorn TV) the captioning has been turned off. I have to turn it back on every time. Anyone else with this issue lately?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

@janthony21

Thanks for the post.

In addition to making sure the closed captions are turned on in your Roku device, we would recommend making sure that the channel itself has the settings set to be toggled on as each channel may have their own settings.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@janthony21

Thanks for the post.

In addition to making sure the closed captions are turned on in your Roku device, we would recommend making sure that the channel itself has the settings set to be toggled on as each channel may have their own settings.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
janthony21
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny -

That worked. Thank you.

It's odd, though - I've never had to do that before.

twinfl

Jump to solution

I've started having the same problem.  No issues since I installed the stick last summer.  I've started using Sling and every time I switch between Sling and any Hulu, Amazon, etc. the closed caption is turned off.  I have cc set to Yes on everything.

Jump to solution

Didn't work for me and I can't get it to turn on.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@spottedbigbird

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What channel are you having seeing this occur? What are the steps to reproduce this issue?

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Mine has started doing this do every show I change to on hbomax I have to put closed captioning always but still goes off on any episode or movie and also when I switch between apps it goes off it use to always stay on 

Jump to solution

Yes I'm having the same issue with my hbomax now

crooner7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku TV and my Roku 4 are both doing this.  I am hearing impaired so I need this for all channels.  Every time I turn off the TV, I have to re-enable in Roku settings.  It is a Roku issue likely in the last update.  It works across all platforms.  I tried several to prove this.  It is easy to fix but this is completely new and definitely Roku.  With their wonderful customer service we have to get on these forums and wait for days for a solution.  If ever.  

Bbalchus91
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

what is the easy fix you mentioned crooner7?

Thanks

Bruce