Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gpsman
Binge Watcher

Re: My brand spankin new Roku 4k stick lost its memory. Why?

Power save mode. !!!  Wow , no indication on any info provided. THANkS. Will turn that off. Not much of a power draw to worry about it 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Gpsman 

Certainly eliminate any splitter/switch for your troubleshooting.  Plug the Streaming Stick directly into your TV and power into wall.  If all is well, then you can try the power port of your TV.  If all remains well, and problem returns with the reintroduction of the switch (if you have to use), then a compatibility issue. (or in your case, may even be a power issue if powered by the switch).

Some switches do not play nicely with Roku devices.  You can certainly use an HDMI switch with a Roku device, but not all can be expected to be compatible.

Most switch issues cause HDMI disconnection and signal issues though, and not necessarily the factory resetting issue you are seeing.  Again, however, I would setup the Streaming Stick in the recommended manner above.  This should allow you to help isolate the issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Gpsman
Binge Watcher

I will give it a try and report back.   Thanks so much. 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Power saving mode won’t factory reset a Roku 

0 Kudos
Gpsman
Binge Watcher

I suspected the power save didn’t clear the memory. However, when you press and hold the power button on the side of the stick for some number of seconds, it seems to reset the stick back to factory defaults. Just a quick press turns it on. I’m learning. At my age, still a good thing. 

thanks. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Wait a minute. Are you actually doing this each time? This is getting confusing. A Roku does not have an on or off button period. They are designed to always stay on. If you program the remote to your tv all it does is turn the power to your tv screen off. There is no way to actually turn on and off your Roku besides for unplugging it. None of them have a power button. That isn’t a power button you are pressing. That’s the factory reset button 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Gpsman 

If you are pressing the Reset button on the Streaming Stick, then your finger is the likely culprit here causing the issue.

Just to clear-up/explain some things...

1. The Roku streaming devices do not have a manual power button (on/off).  They only have a Reset button. (it does seem to reboot with a short press, factory resets with a longer press and hold).

2. When you are finished with your streaming session, you need to press the Home button on your Roku Remote.  This will return you to the Home Screen and stop all streaming and internet/bandwidth use of the device.

3. In order to turn the actual TV off, you use the Power button on the Roku remote. (assuming you have programmed the remote to the tv.  Settings/Remotes & Devices/Remotes/Set-up Remote for TV control)

4. After some time has elapsed, your Roku device will enter a Sleep Mode automatically.  

5. When you want to watch your TV again with the Roku device, you press Power button on the Roku remote to start the TV, and you press the Home button (or really any key other than power and volume keys) in order to "wake up" the Roku device.  The Roku remote does all the interacting with the device. (No fingers on device buttons).

5a.  If you enable both your TV's HDMI CEC and Roku's 1-touch play (Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch play), then you can turn on both your TV and wake the Roku device with a single press on the Roku Remote. (if you are using your hdmi switch though, this may not be a good choice to do so you may to experiment as this will automatically switch to the Roku HDMI Input.)

Hopefully that helps clear some things up for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Gpsman
Binge Watcher

Ok. That’s good info. 
final comment. 
I have an old smart tv (Samsung) 4kuhd. Pre 2017. Came with an hdmi splitter box.

I have been watching tv through my provider all cabled and run through the splitter box no problem 

I added the roku stick to one of the inputs and all worked fine. Paired clicker and finished setup. All worked well. 
I control the source with Samsung clicker. I select hdmi port while tv is on.  I select the newly activated stick and all is good. When I’m done watching roku/appletv I switch ports back to isp. I don’t turn tv off  

when I come back to tv later and turn on , watching from isp, if I switch to roku, tv says “no signal”. So, I tap roku reset button and all good. 

now that I disabled power save, this problem has gone away. 
So,

i wonder if the Samsung hdmi box is not getting a signal through to roku to turn on. 

in any case. It all works and am very pleased with the product. 

thanks again for all your help. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Please do not press the reset button on the Roku. Your making matters worse. Now you even giving us more details. I take it your tv only has 1 HDMI port. That’s why you use an HDMI splitter. In your Roku settings go to network and turn off bandwidth saver. Your Roku is designed to go to sleep after 4 hours. So what’s happening is your switching HDMI ports through the switch and 4 hours later the Roku goes to sleep. You switch back to Roku and see nothing. That’s cause the Roku is asleep. Press the home button on the remote to wake it up.. DO NOT press the factory reset button. Honestly speaking you’re better off getting rid of cable TV and using a live TV streaming service such as YouTube TV. Does your TV only have one HDMI port? Also be sure your Roku is plugged straight into the wall for Power. Seems like most of your problems you are experiencing is due to your set up and the fact that you keep pressing The reset button on your Roku

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

I think the “splitter” the OP is referring to is that awful Samsung Smartbox they have been including with many of their higher-end TVs since the debut of UHD.

But yes, I think the issue was that the OP was assuming the reset button was a power button.