Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TyGuyMTL1975
Reel Rookie

My Roku will not recognize my Iphone as a device in efforts to use the mirroring function.

I have a Roku Sharp  ROKO-TV 5317X. I can't seem to get the system to pair with my Iphone. No matter what I have tried, the system does not recognize on the list as either allow or not allow my Iphone. Yes. both my Iphone and Roku are on the same Wifi network and I have reset both Wifi configurations on my Roku and Iphone but it simply will not detect my Iphone.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: My Roku will not recognize my Iphone as a device in efforts to use the mirroring function.

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

What is your model # and firmware version?  Settings/System/About

Roku supports 2 protocols for mirroring:

Miracast=Settings/System/Screen mirroring

AirPlay2=Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit

Apple devices support AirPlay (not Miracast) - if you dont see the Apple AirPlay and HomeKit menu option, your Roku TV doesnt have AirPlay support installed (either because its not a supported Roku TV model, or because its OS isnt updated/other issue)

If you were looking in Settings/System/Screen mirroring, you wont see any Apple devices there, because thats for Miracast (not AirPlay).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku will not recognize my Iphone as a device in efforts to use the mirroring function.

You don't "pair" your iPhone to use Airplay. If the destination device (such as your Roku TV) is available, the iPhone will see it as an available destination for screen mirroring. But your network must also not have security enabled that blocks networked devices from seeing each other. Many networks have a setting that does not allow wireless devices from seeing other networked devices, wired or wireless. If that is enabled, your phone won't see your Roku. My iPhone shows every Roku on my network, including a Sharp Roku TV, as an available connection. This also includes several non-Roku devices as well. 

Do you see any available devices when you enter the screen sharing function on your iPhone? If not, then unless there are no other possible devices on your network (certainly possible), there's something in your network settings that is blocking AirPlay from seeing your Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TyGuyMTL1975
Reel Rookie

Hi-

So your answer seems to make the most sense after trying almost everything I have read on the internet. The TV was bought only 2 years ago so I assumed it was equipped to handle both IOS and Android devices. 

The TV Model:  ROKO-TV 5317X SHARP

The Software version: 10.0.0 build 419513

seems to be updating regularly with the last update being May 13 and Check yesterday.

Does this mean I need to buy something in addition? Unfortunately the App some tutorials recommend on line is not available here in Canada. Anything further I may consider doing before cancelling AppleTV?

0 Kudos
TyGuyMTL1975
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your help. No, on my Iphone there is no device listed as an option to share. I am not sure what I can do on my Iphone to have the network settings unblocked in efforts to pick up the signal from the Roku and Vice Versa.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@TyGuyMTL1975 wrote:

Thanks for your help. No, on my Iphone there is no device listed as an option to share. I am not sure what I can do on my Iphone to have the network settings unblocked in efforts to pick up the signal from the Roku and Vice Versa.

There's no such setting on the phone. The settings I'm referring to are within your wireless access device (router or access point). It might be called isolation, privacy, or something similar. But it's blocking your iPhone from seeing other devices on your network. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@TyGuyMTL1975 wrote:

Hi-

So your answer seems to make the most sense after trying almost everything I have read on the internet. The TV was bought only 2 years ago so I assumed it was equipped to handle both IOS and Android devices. 

The TV Model:  ROKO-TV 5317X SHARP

The Software version: 10.0.0 build 419513

seems to be updating regularly with the last update being May 13 and Check yesterday.

Does this mean I need to buy something in addition? Unfortunately the App some tutorials recommend on line is not available here in Canada. Anything further I may consider doing before cancelling AppleTV?

What is the model listed in Settings/System/About? (the exact model number+name listed there)

Compare the Roku TV model # from Settings/System/About to this list:

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Roku TV™  Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx Dxxxx, 8xxxx 

If you the model # shown doesnt start with A, C, 7, D, or 8 then you wont get AirPlay support, and your iPhones wont be able to mirror/cast (unless you use a Miracast-compatible app).

Roku didnt even add AirPlay support until last fall, so when you bought it 2 years ago there was no way they were advertising AirPlay support.

Yes, if you want to AirPlay (cast/mirror) your phone to your TV, you'll need something extra (perhaps another Roku device, one that has known AirPlay support when you buy it - check the article for a list).

Not sure why you need to cancel Apple TV because you cant AirPlay from your phone - is your Roku TV model also not compatible with the Apple TV app?

https://support.roku.com/article/360036652634

Roku TV

7000x, C000x, 8000x, A000x, 6000x

Again, if its not in those model ranges, you'll need to get a device that is - consult that article and purchase one of the models that has both AirPlay and Apple TV app support (e.g. Roku Express 4K+ covers both).

0 Kudos
UltraBW
Reel Rookie

My iphone cannot see my roku device anymore either!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@UltraBW wrote:

My iphone cannot see my roku device anymore either!

Both the Roku and the iPhone have to be connected to the same private network, and the network (wireless access points) must not have a security setting enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. I just looked at my iPhone XR and all my Roku devices are visible as a mirroring destination. 

Dan

0 Kudos
UltraBW
Reel Rookie

It only stopped working recently. Never had problems before Thanksgiving Day when I tried it & again today. I am doing everything exactly the way I always did before. Roku Ultra is the problem, not my iphone. I am not new to this. I have experience. 

0 Kudos