Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jillre
Level 7

My Roku is talking

I've gone to settings>audio but there is no option to turn audio off. It is fracking the text...Netflix sling main menu. It's driving me crazy, please help! Thank you!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: My Roku is talking

No, this is something under a different menu. I believe you can also toggle it with the * button, but don't remember exactly how. 

I can't look at the menu right now, but it will be under something like Accessibility. It's designed for vision impaired users. You should be able to find it with a little looking.
Yep, just checked the menu. It's under Accessibility/Audio Guide. It also says to press * four times quickly to toggle it. That might be how you accidentally turned it on.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Jillre
Level 7

Thank you so much! Once I used the * key, a new window was available and I was able to view Audio Guide and disable. Sanity restored!
0 Kudos
Realitywoman
Level 7

https://forums.roku.com/posting.php?f=28&mode=reply&t=99747&sid=6ffa05549cfdf2f2fc4602cf5ea723b7#pos...
Jillre[/url:1b222gtx] » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:12 am  
[/color]

Thank you to whomever gave these instructions.  Finally, turned off that annoying voice.  Don't get me wrong it's necessary and great to have if needed.  Not sure how it got turned on.  The instructions that were given were go to settings then audio and turn the menu sound off didn't work at all.  Now if Roku could come up with a remote that is silent-everything would be golden.  At least now I can hear the birds chirping instead of that voice and click, click, click.  Happy New Year!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Realitywoman" wrote:
https://forums.roku.com/posting.php?f=28&mode=reply&t=99747&sid=6ffa05549cfdf2f2fc4602cf5ea723b7#pos...Jillre[/url:gjah9v8o] » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:12 am  [/color]

Thank you to whomever gave these instructions.  Finally, turned off that annoying voice.  Don't get me wrong it's necessary and great to have if needed.  Not sure how it got turned on.  The instructions that were given were go to settings then audio and turn the menu sound off didn't work at all.  Now if Roku could come up with a remote that is silent-everything would be golden.  At least now I can hear the birds chirping instead of that voice and click, click, click.  Happy New Year!

You probably accidentally activated it by pressing the * button too many times at once. That toggles it as well. Many people have posted they did it by mistake. 
Menu Sound is for the clicks when you hit a button on the remote, nothing else. Turn that off and your remote should be silent. None of my remotes make any sound of their own, unless I press the lost remote button on my Ultra to help me find it.  Smiley Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

I accidentally turned it on last night. If you press the * key 4 times, that will toggle it on or off.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

"nocable" wrote:
I accidentally turned it on last night. If you press the * key 4 times, that will toggle it on or off.

Yes thats the shortcut sequence for enabling/disable the audio accessiblity option.
That shortcut can be disabled under the accessibility menu option, then it won't turn on by accident again!
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"NightHawk" wrote:
"nocable" wrote:

Yes thats the shortcut sequence for enabling/disable the audio accessiblity option.
That shortcut can be disabled under the accessibility menu option, then it won't turn on by accident again!

That's something new. Thanks for mentioning it!
Dan
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

"NightHawk" wrote:
"nocable" wrote:

Yes that's the shortcut sequence for enabling/disable the audio accessibility option.

Thanks... I'll turn that option off.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos