Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

My Roku freezes when inserting MicroSD

I have the small square Roku with the remote. We had it for a few years.

Today I tried inserting a MicroSD card into the Roku. The Roku display an option on the screen to [Format] or [Cancel]. However, I could not make a selection because the remote would not work. I assume the Roku was locked up? 

I tried unplugging the power.  The Roku started normally and showed me the message again to Format the SD. But the UI was still frozen.

I tried several things to make this work. In the end I had to remove the SD card and remove the batteries from remote etc.... My Roku still works but I can't insert a SD card.

-How do I successfully insert a SD card into the Roku?

-Is there a size limitation to a MicroSD card that the Roku can use?

-Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My Roku freezes when inserting MicroSD

@Jerryt1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater micro SD card with a minimum of 2GB storage for your Roku device.

For more information about using a micro SD card with your device, visit our Support page here: How do I increase memory with a micro SD card?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the reply.

I already read the linked page on adding a SD card.

My problem is that when I insert a MicroSD card and start the RoKu, the "Format" window displays but the Roku freezes.

What am I missing?

My SD card is 32g. Is this too large?

Why does the Roku freeze at the Format screen?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Jerryt1 

Thanks for the note.

It's possible that the micro SD card is too large for the device. Have you tried using a smaller micro SD card, such as a 2GB?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Jerryt1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I already read the linked page on adding a SD card.

My problem is that when I insert a MicroSD card and start the RoKu, the "Format" window displays but the Roku freezes.

What am I missing?

My SD card is 32g. Is this too large?

Why does the Roku freeze at the Format screen?

32GB is severe overkill for this purpose. Remember that the only thing the SD card does is expand your storage space for the channels themselves. Depending on your Roku model, 2 GB is tripling your storage space. It doesn't cache any streaming data, nor improve overall speed of the Roku itself, other than loading little used channels a little faster. While I have two Ultra players, both with the SD slot, I've never used a card. The rare occasion it needs to reload a channel it only adds a few seconds to that channel's load time. The player will unload the least used channel to make room for the newly loaded channel, so it is again on local storage. Unless you regularly use all of your various channels, it's unlikely you'd ever notice any difference without using the SD card. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Mines did too. You can scroll up to format if you use the roku remote (downloaded app). When formatting completed, restart and the other remote should work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Phone app worked, MicroSD formatted, remote still doesn't work. Seems like a pretty severe design flaw.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I have an 8GB Micro SD card installed my Ultra 4660.

There is a trick to fully installing the SD card. You'll want to use your fingernail to push that baby --all the way in there--. You'll hear a soft click when it's all the way in. It's a tight spot, so pushing it in gives resistance, but if you don't push it all the way in, you're not gonna have it registered by the Roku.

As a side note, whenever I reboot the Roku 4660, even after the Home Screen first comes back up, the Roku is not yet fully rebooted. A short time later, an onscreen popup message appears and says my SD Card has been linked, or something like that. I guess the thing is, don't get in a rush to go and watch channels after a reboot, or an update.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I wanted you to know I had and am having the same issue.  It's not the size of the sd card.  I did some online research and found that the Roku doesn't work well with certain brands of sd cards.  I was trying a Sandisk which didn't work but the Kingston did.   For some reason, I can't get it to work this time, so back to the internet I go. 

0 Kudos