Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJL1975
Level 7

My Roku SE keeps saying unable to update software during set up.

I just bought the Roku SE on Black Friday. I just plugged it all up and turned it on to set it up. Well it keeps saying that its unable to do the software update. I don't know what to do. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
racoon1344
Level 7

Re: My Roku SE keeps saying unable to update software during set up.

I'm having the same problem now.    been trying for 2 hours to get it to update, it starts downloading, but when it gets to 54%, it stops and then says it is unable to update software.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@racoon1344 wrote:

I'm having the same problem now.    been trying for 2 hours to get it to update, it starts downloading, but when it gets to 54%, it stops and then says it is unable to update software.

The Roku SE was discontinued years ago. It is still officially supported, but if it's now beginning to show issues with updating, it may be reaching end of life. I'm not saying toss it, I'm just tempering your expectations.

If it's hanging up during an update, a factory reset may be in order. Press and hold the Reset button for at least 30 seconds. You'll have to re-link the device to your account, since it will go through the initial setup following a factory reset, but once that completes, it should be back to normal.

Again, it may be time to update your nearly 8 year old device.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What's the model number from Settings->System->About?  There have been a few "SE" models.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.