Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonWilliam
Level 8

Mute work around

Hi all.  I'm pretty new to Roku and streaming services in general, and one thing clearly missing from my Roku (Streaming Stick+) is a mute button.  I was poking around today and figured out a pretty nifty work around.  I searched and didn't find it mentioned, so I apologize if its been shared before already but in case not, maybe this will help others.

First, don't use the Roku remote.  Instead download the mobile app.  Within the app, pull up the Remote feature.  Find the headphones icon on the bottom right of the screen.  Tap it.  You're now playing the audio thru your mobile device.  Turn down or off the media volume on your device.  Tap again to return the audio to your TV.  Bingo.  Instant mute.

I tested this with both Android and iOS devices against the Streaming Stick+ and several different channels, and it works the same each time.  Can't speak for all Roku devices nor channels though so your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps!

Labels (1)
13 Replies
blade_005
Level 11

Re: Mute work around

"JasonWilliam" wrote:
Hi all.  I'm pretty new to Roku and streaming services in general, and one thing clearly missing from my Roku (Streaming Stick+) is a mute button.  I was poking around today and figured out a pretty nifty work around.  I searched and didn't find it mentioned, so I apologize if its been shared before already but in case not, maybe this will help others.

First, don't use the Roku remote.  Instead download the mobile app.  Within the app, pull up the Remote feature.  Find the headphones icon on the bottom right of the screen.  Tap it.  You're now playing the audio thru your mobile device.  Turn down or off the media volume on your device.  Tap again to return the audio to your TV.  Bingo.  Instant mute.

I tested this with both Android and iOS devices against the Streaming Stick+ and several different channels, and it works the same each time.  Can't speak for all Roku devices nor channels though so your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps!

Does your Roku remote that came with your Streaming Stick have a voice prompt button? If so, you can use that to voice prompt TV to MUTE VOLUME and then UNMUTE VOLUME. Similarly, on the Roku app there is a MICROPHONE icon at the top of the screen that will do the same. Press it and you can voice prompt it to MUTE or UNMUTE the volume. Just another way to go at it.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
JasonWilliam
Level 8

Thanks blade, I did try that but for whatever reason mine comes up with the following error (and doesn't mute the vol):  "Sorry, can't help you with 'Mute volume'".  Maybe its my TV?  It's a fairly new Samsung 65" though so I doubt it, but maybe.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Hit the mute button on the TV remote. Problem solved.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
JasonWilliam
Level 8

Two remotes = not ideal Smiley Tongue
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Not ideal, but using a phone isn't either.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Jimdotlaw
Level 7

Easier way is to plug hesdphobes into the jackbon remote- muted - viola.
0 Kudos

"Jimdotlaw" wrote:
Easier way is to plug hesdphobes into the jackbon remote- muted - viola.

Many Roku remotes don’t have a headphone jack.
0 Kudos
basketbuild
Level 8

3 words: Logitech Harmony Hub
0 Kudos
JimJohnson
Level 7

I have the Roku Premiere + .... voice commands work with Roku's own channels and maybe others, but it does NOT work within the Spectrum TV app. Only the Volume Up & Down buttons on the remote work within this app for sound. Obviously not critical, but a mute option would be nice.  It would be REALLY nice if I could change cable channels using voice.
The tip to use the microphone button on the remote also does not work. If you tap the button, sound continues and you get a screen message to push and hold the button. If you press and hold the button, it does kill the sound while held - - however it is also true that the microphone is now active and listening to you while you discuss that private matter for which you needed mute.
0 Kudos