Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markeby
Reel Rookie

Multiple Roku devices (4) used to work fine on the alexa in the room. Now just a dumb response.

I have had 4 and even 5 Roku devices in our home with Alexa devices in each room.  This used to work with phrases like "Pause Office Roku" or "Resume Living room Roku" but now just responds with "I can do that with Roku or Roku.  Which one do you want?"  It did this response even when renaming them.   What still works is turning them on and off and launching some apps, like Youtube, Spectrum, or Plex.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Z06
Roku Guru

Re: Multiple Roku devices (4) used to work fine on the alexa in the room. Now just a dumb response.

You probably have to relearn your Alexa routines. Try starting over. Remove any Roku routines you added. Then go into skills and disable the Roku skill. When you delete the skill it will disconnect your Alexa app from your Roku account. Completely close out the Alexa app on your phone. Open the app back up and be sure that there’s no traces of Roku. Now set your routines back up and add the skills. I had to do this recently with my Wi-Fi lights. All of a sudden Alexa wasn’t controlling them anymore but yet they online. Setting up Alexa has nothing to do with Roku but has everything to do with the Alexa app on your phone. Meaning that if Alexa is not working properly on your Roku the problem is in your Roku. 

0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Streaming Star

Re: Multiple Roku devices (4) used to work fine on the alexa in the room. Now just a dumb response.

Same problem.  I also have 4 roku’s and Alexa is responding the same way.  Just started happening.  And disabling/re-enabling the skill doesn’t help.  However if I unlink all of the devices it seems to work.  I wonder if this is a bug from the latest update.

0 Kudos
Justdann
Binge Watcher

Since update to version 11, Alexa skills no longer working correctly.

Since the latest upgrade, the Alexa skills no longer appear to be working correctly.  I can only turn the TV(s) on or off.  

I didn't give thought to the Roku OS update so I focused more on rebuilding the Alexa Roku skill sets.  I reloaded the Alexa app as well as the Roku skills and reenabled all the skill sets for my 2 TVs.  I tested the Alexa app with powering the TV(s) on or off and this works ok.  When I ask Alexa to launch Netflix, pause the TV, or increase/decrease volume, the only response from Alexa is "Would you like to do this on Roku or Roku?"  Stating "Roku" does nothing.

I've searched the web along with these forums and only finding other having the same issue.  The only changes that have happened is the recent update to the Roku OS.  Any idea if this is being looked into?

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Since update to version 11, Alexa skills no longer working correctly.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
-when did this issue start happening

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Justdann
Binge Watcher

TV1
Model: 7203x – Roku TV
Serial #: YN00SA662178 (9J600S662178)
Software version: 11.0.0 Build 4193-38
Timestamp: 2022-05-20T13:39:13Z
Issue ID; 78-200-979

TV2
Model: 8121X – Roku TV
Serial #: YK00FR992872 (NPN03F992872)
Software version: 11.0.0 build 4193-48
Timestamp: 2022-05-20T13:43:12Z
Issue ID: 72-200-983

Steps to reproduce issue... 

-Rebuilt Alexa app and Roku Skills.
-Registered 2 TV for activation in Roku Alexa skills.
-Provided commands to Alexa to control Roku TVs.
  - Power TV on/off functions normally
  - Alexa - switch to Netflix.  Response would be " I can do this on Roku or Roku".  Answering "on Roku" does nothing other that her repeating the question.
  - Alexa - pause TV1 (or TV2).  Response would be " I can do this on Roku or Roku".  Answering "on Roku" does nothing other that her repeating the question.
  - When on Live local TV - Alexa go to channel 9.1. Response would be " I can do this on Roku or Roku".  Answering "on Roku" does nothing other that her repeating the question.

Previous to version 11, these commands would work without issues. I'm continuing to work on the commands to get these to work. On occasion if I ask "Alexa - Go to Netflix on TV1 Roku" it sometimes works, but often I get an error from Alexa station "this is not available on Roku" or something to that nature.

The Alexa integration with all the available commands worked flawless on both Roku TVs prior to the upgrade. I had noticed the commands stopped functioning and was not aware the Roku OS had been updated. I worked on Alexa and the Roku skills apps instead thinking there was a change of some sort. With it all rebuilt and not working, I then focused on the Roku TVs. I factory reset TV2 thinking there may have been a bad download or something off. This did not clear up the issue.

End results... there is additional programming or coding needed in Version 11 to work with Alexa. Not sure if this is also the same issue with Google as I do not have this device.

Thanks

Dan

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Justdann

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chuckbeef
Reel Rookie

Roku no longer working with Alexa Echo Dot

This issue started mid-May 2022. I used to be able to control my Roku Express stick using my Alexa with no issues. Now when I give it a command it says "I can do that on Roku or Roku, which would you like?" I only have 1 Roku. I've disconnected and re-connected the devices and I've turned off and on the Roku Skill in the Alexa app. No help.

In the reviews for this skill, multiple others have been having the same issue. I contacted Amazon and and their customer support was useless so I'm reporting it here in case it's something Roku can fix.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku no longer working with Alexa Echo Dot

@chuckbeef

We would be more than happy to look further into this, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chuckbeef
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku no longer working with Alexa Echo Dot

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@chuckbeef

Thanks,
Danny

Model: 39141X - Roku Express 4k+

Serial #: X01600MD8WVP

Software Version: 11.0.0 • Build 4193-CR

Device ID: S07P217D8WVP

Issue Report Tracker ID VP-225-638

Steps to reproduce issue: For example, I'll be watching Netflix on Roku and I say "Alexa, pause Roku" (a command it used to understand). Alexa will then say "I can do that on Roku or Roku. Which would you like?" I only have Alexa connected to one Roku device.

This issue started happening late May 2022

0 Kudos