Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Multiple Device Settings

If buying multiple Roku devices- Roku Express or otherwise, must they all be in the same WiFi network for which I have a Dual Band Gateway and Comcast service? There is 5 and 2.4 so should they be in the same?

Also, do they “talk” to one another, meaning, do recorded shows show up on 2 or more ROKU devices that would be in place?

And where do I find those recordings?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Multiple Device Settings

@garden54 wrote:

If buying multiple Roku devices- Roku Express or otherwise, must they all be in the same WiFi network for which I have a Dual Band Gateway and Comcast service? There is 5 and 2.4 so should they be in the same?

Also, do they “talk” to one another, meaning, do recorded shows show up on 2 or more ROKU devices that would be in place?

And where do I find those recordings?

First, there's no problem with different Roku devices being connected to different networks. My 4640 is wired, my 4670 is 5 GHz, one Roku TV is wired and the other is 2.4 GHz. It's all the same overall network in my home. But when I travel, I use my Premiere at the hotel, so I'm not connected to my home network at all.

Roku devices themselves to not talk to each other. They do communicate with the Roku servers, but the only thing that does is add/remove channels from all devices. Every Roku devices registered to the same Roku user account will have the same channels installed. Remove a channel from one and it's removed from all. 

Roku devices have no ability to record anything. They simply stream what is available on each specific channel. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Multiple Device Settings

Thanks for the quick reply. Follow up:

1- so you're saying it does NOT matter whether ones wifi is at 2.4 or 5?

2- as for your reply: "Roku devices have no ability to record anything. They simply stream what is available on each specific channel. " -- When I use the XFINITI/COMCAST (for now) app when on ROKU, there is an option to "record".  Since I just purchased the devices, I think you're suggesting that the recording is "sent" to my COMCAST saved recordings library?...and once I get rid of COMCAST as my cable TV provider, that "record option" will go away??

Many thanks..please advise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Multiple Device Settings

@garden54 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Follow up:

1- so you're saying it does NOT matter whether ones wifi is at 2.4 or 5?

2- as for your reply: "Roku devices have no ability to record anything. They simply stream what is available on each specific channel. " -- When I use the XFINITI/COMCAST (for now) app when on ROKU, there is an option to "record".  Since I just purchased the devices, I think you're suggesting that the recording is "sent" to my COMCAST saved recordings library?...and once I get rid of COMCAST as my cable TV provider, that "record option" will go away??

Many thanks..please advise.

1 Correct, it doesn't matter.

2. I don't use/have Xfinity, but yes I would imagine that those recordings are stored somewhere on Comcast servers, and will be lost if you discontinue their service. Roku devices do not contain any storage space for recording what is being watched. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos