Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john222
Channel Surfer

Mirroring issues

Hello i am having issues with screen mirroring. i get the error "rokucast can't reinstall"....

I am trying mirror with my android device and hisense TV. I have no wifi.

Thanks for any help you can provide

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
john222
Channel Surfer

Re: Mirroring issues

Never mind, i give. Very likley the worst experience i've ever had with a product. Zero support. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku devices cannot be "cast" to without a network connection. They aren't capable of a peer to peer connection. You have to have a WiFi network with both devices connected to the same network for screen mirroring to work.

You ask a question and then declare there's no assistance within a matter of hours? Yes, Roku has poor tech support. But what you're asking is more to do with how to screen mirror your phone, which isn't really a tech question for Roku to answer. At least give it a day for a response. And while it's possible to screen mirror onto a Roku, that's not what they were designed for. It's simply an add-on feature beyond their designed usage. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@john222 wrote:

Hello i am having issues with screen mirroring. i get the error "rokucast can't reinstall"....

I am trying mirror with my android device and hisense TV. I have no wifi.

Thanks for any help you can provide

You dont need your Roku connected to a WiFi SSID (e.g. connected to your modem/gateway/router's WiFi) to screen mirror (using Miracast) on Roku (or any other device for that matter) - it can/does use WiFi Direct for Miracast sessions.

However, the Miracast receiver app (Rokucast) needs an internet connection to download/install/update (for first time use/at least once), and otherwise may give you an error if there is no network/internet connection at time of use after that.

So you'll need to an internet connection connection for the first usage so it can download/install/update Rokucast (Roku's Miracast receiver app).

After that, without a network/internet connection, if a "not connected to the internet" (error 016) dialog box pops up when attempting to screen mirror to it from another device, choose "proceed anyway" and Rokucast should load and operate normally once you initiate a screen sharing/mirroring session from the other device (your Android phone).

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

Roku devices cannot be "cast" to without a network connection. They aren't capable of a peer to peer connection. You have to have a WiFi network with both devices connected to the same network for screen mirroring to work.

You ask a question and then declare there's no assistance within a matter of hours? Yes, Roku has poor tech support. But what you're asking is more to do with how to screen mirror your phone, which isn't really a tech question for Roku to answer. At least give it a day for a response. And while it's possible to screen mirror onto a Roku, that's not what they were designed for. It's simply an add-on feature beyond their designed usage. 

That's completely wrong and backwards (and contrary to Miracast spec. regardless).

Roku devices use WiFi Direct (WiFi P2P) for Miracast connections, which is required as a base minimum by Miracast spec.  Infrastructure (AP) mode is optional and only supported for R2 Miracast devices (which Roku's are not).

Roku devices also use WiFi Direct for other functionality such as the "point anywhere" remote and Hotel & Dorm connect.

Roku's name for WiFi Direct is "Device Connect" (Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect).  

If you disable Device Connect (WiFi Direct), you won't be able to screen mirror to the Roku device (because Roku's are R1 devices that only support WiFi Direct/P2P connection mode).

Similarly, if you arent connected to any WiFi AP SSID on your sending device, you will still be able to establish and maintain a screen mirroring connection to a Roku (again, WiFi Direct/P2P).

You can also check/test Roku's WiFi Direct/P2P Miracast connection basis by simply pulling the power from your WiFi modem/router/gateway after establishing a Miracast session to a Roku - it will stay active.  If this were a Miracast Infrastructure (AP) Mode connection, it would drop immediately of course.

Lastly, screen mirroring is in fact "what they were designed for" (along with every other bit of functionality), and have been, for many years now:  Miracast screen mirroring was added nearly 7 years ago, and is an integral function "out of the box".

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

It has not been my experience that Miracast would work between two un-networked devices. If that's the case, great. But I stand my my statement that screen mirroring was not a core functionality of Roku devices when first created, and even now it's still more of an afterthought. Same as their DLNA support. It works, but it's not well implemented. My DLNA server never reports the status of any of my Roku devices (never shows them online). Even when they are streaming media the server still doesn't show them online. 

Roku devices were and are a Internet streaming device. Yes, they've added some functionality over the years, most recently AirPlay. But it's still an add-on, and if that function disappeared tomorrow they are still fully usable for their designed purpose. They didn't even have Hotel/Dorm connect until the last 4-5 years. And I am grateful for that, as I've used my 4640 in a hotel all this week. 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
john222
Channel Surfer

" atc98092: .... no assistance within a matter of hours?"

It might seem to be the case, but unfortunately it's not. I wasted days of time dealing with this and several other issues. Again unfortunately, roku is on nearly on every TV sold in my area. The fact that roku "broke" or at least made mirroring (not talking casting here) difficult (even though it is clearly a feature as it is in the settings) is reason enough to return the TV. I need a product that meets my needs, not the operating systems needs. i could care less about roku and wish manufactures would stop partnering with companies such as roku (by that i mean, companies that could care less about the user experience.... but on second thought maybe it's a perfect match for them as by using Roku they clearly are demonstrating that they too could care less). Mirroring is a feature for nearly every TV made today. For whatever reason Roku makes things difficult and offers a 100% lack of support. Any companies' website (Hint: roku) that is coded to appear to have all the normal channels of support but is fact has none, and has in addition, decided to add "insult to injury" by even going so far as to code in a circular path to nowhere, further wasting the consumers time, is one that i will not even acknowledge (other than to warn others). Which is why i have taken the time to write the above.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@john222 wrote:

" atc98092: .... no assistance within a matter of hours?"

It might seem to be the case, but unfortunately it's not. I wasted days of time dealing with this and several other issues. Again unfortunately, roku is on nearly on every TV sold in my area. The fact that roku "broke" or at least made mirroring (not talking casting here) difficult (even though it is clearly a feature as it is in the settings) is reason enough to return the TV. I need a product that meets my needs, not the operating systems needs. i could care less about roku and wish manufactures would stop partnering with companies such as roku (by that i mean, companies that could care less about the user experience.... but on second thought maybe it's a perfect match for them as by using Roku they clearly are demonstrating that they too could care less). Mirroring is a feature for nearly every TV made today. For whatever reason Roku makes things difficult and offers a 100% lack of support. Any companies' website (Hint: roku) that is coded to appear to have all the normal channels of support but is fact has none, and has in addition, decided to add "insult to injury" by even going so far as to code in a circular path to nowhere, further wasting the consumers time, is one that i will not even acknowledge (other than to warn others). Which is why i have taken the time to write the above.

Have you:

1) Verified the latest firmware is installed? Settings/System/System update/Check now

2) Verified screen mirroring mode is set to Prompt? Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring mode=Prompt

3) Verified Device Connect is enabled? Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect=enabled

4) Verified Control by mobile apps is set to default? Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps=default

5) Restarted your Roku TV? Settings/System/Power/System Restart/Restart

6) Temporarily connected it to the internet the first time using screen mirroring?

Finally, to directly contact Roku:

Chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus     (choose setup/roku TV/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
john222
Channel Surfer

RE: Chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus     (choose setup/roku TV/other/need more help?)

Following this path does not lead you to any kind of help. After choosing "Need more help" you are prompted to enter your email address, which then signes you up for spam! (news and offers).

Thanks for all your help, i returned the unit for a refund and will find another unit without roku. Over & Out.

0 Kudos