Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whitepawn
Level 7

Mirroring PC: sound plays, movie does not (only desktop wallpaper shows)

I've successfully mirrored my desktop and all of its associated sounds.  However, the movie being streamed simply shows as the Leawo Blu-ray Player icon minimized on the bottom bar even though it is fully maximized (fullscreen) and playing just fine on the PC.  The PC and TV have a wall between them, the wifi and modem are next to the TV, and the PC is 6-8 meters from the TV.  I've streamed Steam from the PC to my laptop while sitting in the living room with little issue.  The sound from the playing Blu-ray streams perfectly onto the TV.  None of the desktop icons show up on the TV either, just the wallpaper and the bottom bar.

The PC has the only functional Blu-ray in the house.  I'm looking for a way to get these Blu-ray discs to play on the TV in the living room without buying anything else.  

TL;DR - Sound streams perfectly to the TV as the movie plays on the PC. Visuals remain minimized on the bottom bar (TV image) regardless of what's happening on the PC. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Mirroring PC: sound plays, movie does not (only desktop wallpaper shows)

deleted by author
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Whitepawn" wrote:
The PC has the only functional Blu-ray in the house.  I'm looking for a way to get these Blu-ray discs to play on the TV in the living room without buying anything else.  
TL;DR - Sound streams perfectly to the TV as the movie plays on the PC. Visuals remain minimized on the bottom bar (TV image) regardless of what's happening on the PC. 

Mirroring and playing a movie is not something I would do but rather just buy an inexpensive bluray player and avoid the hassle with mirroring. (Less than $50) You mention an array of things in your message such as mirroring and streaming but it would be helpful to let us know which Roku model you have and how you mirrored the screen.
From a lucky guess, it sounds like you are treating the TV as secondary screen on your computer and not a clone. Look at your display settings and correct this. Or figure out which way you extended the screen and drag your player off the computer screen onto your secondary screen.
0 Kudos

You're running up against DRM, as designed. The machines are doing what they're supposed to do.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"scottypie1234" wrote:
You're running up against DRM, as designed. The machines are doing what they're supposed to do.

Until we know his setup, you cannot make that statement.

If he is using his PC to miracast the movie to a wireless display, he can watch his bluray movie without any DRM restriction. Granted, this will not support anything above 720p smoothly.
0 Kudos