Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert121571
Level 8

Micro SD slot what size cards

I got the Roku 3 and I'cant find the info in the book that came with it saying what size and type of micro SD cards it supports. I'm getting ready to order some stuff from amazon and figured may as well throw in a memory chip to save on shipping. Dose any one know what is and what not compatible.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
philsoft
Level 8

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

"Robert121571" wrote:
I got the Roku 3 and I'cant find the info in the book that came with it saying what size and type of micro SD cards it supports. I'm getting ready to order some stuff from amazon and figured may as well throw in a memory chip to save on shipping. Dose any one know what is and what not compatible.


I believe anything up to 32GB should be fine. You may need to format the card in a computer first.
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

I was just checking the booklet that comes with the Roku 3, and unless I completely missed it, don't see any information regarding the MicroSD slot.

As philsoft said, just about any MicroSD card should work, though 32GB is extreme overkill, in my opinion (perhaps if you have tons of channels and/or games installed, but most channels are very small in size anyway). Personally, I'd probably go with just a 1 or 2 GB card.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Gilgamesh
Level 8

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

Anything larger that 4g is totally wasted as there is no way Roku will ever even approach that number. More than likely 2g is all that can or will ever be used.

EDIT: Formatting in a computer is also a waste as the Roku will format the card for itself.
philsoft
Level 8

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
EDIT: Formatting in a computer is also a waste as the Roku will format the card for itself.


There has been more than one person with (I believe it was Sandisk) cards that had to be formatted in a computer before the Roku would detect them. So it may need to be formatted in a computer.
Robert121571
Level 8

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

Well I just remembered I had a micro SD card laying around that I had in an old windows mobile 6.1 phone. Hadn't used the card for over 2 years since my card reader can't read the HDHC cards. I grabbed it and popped in the Roku pluged it in and the Roku saw it and formatted it. Card is overkill since it is a 8Gig but is a slow one but hey saves a few bucks.
Dragondc3
Level 7

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

There are more reasons one would want a larger sdcard than for games. There are channels such as Vudu that allow you to download movies or shows that you own or rent. Reasons one would ever wish to do this are those that have slower internet, such as my In-laws who live far out of reach of cable or like speed Internet services. I bought them a roku because there tv options were very slim. Since they have slower side dsl they can rent a movie or buy on vudu and stream in sd just fine..but if they wish to watch something in HDX the file size is far larger. They can simply download it when busy with other things and then watch it at their convenience without streaming at the much higher quality. The larger cards makes it so one can keep more than a few movies downloaded if they may watch them often.
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

"Dragondc3" wrote:
There are more reasons one would want a larger sdcard than for games. There are channels such as Vudu that allow you to download movies or shows that you own or rent. Reasons one would ever wish to do this are those that have slower internet, such as my In-laws who live far out of reach of cable or like speed Internet services. I bought them a roku because there tv options were very slim. Since they have slower side dsl they can rent a movie or buy on vudu and stream in sd just fine..but if they wish to watch something in HDX the file size is far larger. They can simply download it when busy with other things and then watch it at their convenience without streaming at the much higher quality. The larger cards makes it so one can keep more than a few movies downloaded if they may watch them often.


Except you CANNOT download anything to Roku's SD card.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

^ +1 The card is for channel and game storage ONLY. You can't download anything with a Roku. It's a streaming device only.
A 2Gb card is plenty. If you don't play games you don't need a card at all.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
theenoid
Level 7

Re: Micro SD slot what size cards

I have to edit my post. I have a 4GB. And with the channels I added, it's only using up 2 mb's. BUT, I still get the "Station is loading" all the time. I really thought the card would fix that, but apparently not.


FYI, Roku's card format will work on a 64 GB card, (Not that you'll need it) I first time I tried, I got an error, but after reformatting card on computer, Roku worked 2nd time.