Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Micro SD problem

This is an old thread but I thought I'd add to it.

After booting with the SD card and it not being found, I formatted the card in my PC. I inserted the card into the Roku 3, booted and it still wasn't found.

What worked for me was inserting the SD card into the Roku while it was fully booted. Roku immediately prompted me to format the card. Roku 3 (4200 series) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have always suggested to remove format with a PC making it RAW then inserting into roku to format.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the almost identical issue. The only differences: my three 16GB Micro SD cards are Sandisk ultras. Also slight Roku difference -I have a 3 and an Ultra. Ultra ok, the three, no play. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Solved:

Summary:

If you're methodical and repetitive, you can eject and re-insert the card until it works.

Long Story:

On my Roku 3, I had all but given up on getting the MicroSD card to work, but forum user Skeeball over on the forums gave me new hope: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=101208  Their issue was with a Roku 2, but the more I read that entry the more I focused on this:

or if it was just reseating the card for the 12th time?

This stuck in my head.  Was this just a mechanical engineering or manufacturing flaw?

The trick would be doing this with the screen on, which meant having the HDMI cord installed at the same time as all the inserting and ejecting.  Using a wire tie as a false fingernail, I started inserting and ejecting the card as rapidly as I could.  After a few seconds, a message popped up on the screen and then disappeared.  I looked down.  I'd stopped with the card ejected.  Had it worked?  I tried again for about a minute.  Nothing.  Maybe it only works once per boot?  This is how superstitions get started.  I rebooted.

Once the system started and I was on the home page again.  Again I rapidly started inserting and ejecting the card.  The message popped up, I panicked, my finger slipped and card ejected but only a little and the wire tie got stuck in the way.  The message stayed up.  It was asking if I wanted to format.  Barely breathing, so as not to nudge the wire tie, I clicked yes.  The card formatted.  If that's how it had to be, fine.   I gingerly tried to place the Roku on the mantle.  The wire tie was bumped and came loose.  The card, no longer held in, ejected across the room.  The roku informed me that my channels would have to be reloaded.  Gah!

Finally, I realized I'd have to be methodical about it.  I restarted the Roku.  I inserted the card.  I found a two-tap cadence that had me pause after each insert.  tap-eject-tap-insert.  I did this a few times.  A message came up on the screen.  The card was being mounted.  I looked down.  The card was in the inserted position.  I placed the Roku on the shelf.  I felt simultaneously beaten and victorious.  This should not have been necessary.  The people need to know.

Thank you to everyone who provided instructions on the various ways to format the cards and the cluster sizes to use.  I can report, it matters not.  My SanDisk 32 GB card (C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD), works fine, it just has to be caught by the hardware appropriately.

Sandisk Card.PNG

Best wishes to all of you.

0 Kudos