Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Micro SD problem

"PhilBilly" wrote:
I just bought 3 Transcend 16GB Class 10 MicroSDHC cards for my ROKU's The ROKU 3 will not recognize any of them but my ROKU 4 recognizes all 3 of them so there must be an issue with the ROKU 3 and other cards that was fixes in the ROKU 4. My big question is will ROKU fix this issue or are we just stuck with is and have to buy new ROKUs?
Yes I do know a 16GB card is very much overkill but that is not the issue.

No, the issue is that the cards are Class 10. Rokus are not designed for that kind of card, except maybe the Roku4. It is, I believe, a hardware limitation so I do not think Roku can fix it.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

"PhilBilly" wrote:
I just bought 3 Transcend 16GB Class 10 MicroSDHC cards for my ROKU's The ROKU 3 will not recognize any of them but my ROKU 4 recognizes all 3 of them so there must be an issue with the ROKU 3 and other cards that was fixes in the ROKU 4. My big question is will ROKU fix this issue or are we just stuck with is and have to buy new ROKUs?

As mentioned, Class 10 cards seem to be very different. When I bought a card for my phone, I wanted to pre-load it with some music directly on my computer (faster than side-load on phone through USB.) The card was not recognized by the card reader that was in my computer (from 2007). I ended up buying a USB stick reader.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"PhilBilly" wrote:

No, the issue is that the cards are Class 10. Rokus are not designed for that kind of card, except maybe the Roku4. It is, I believe, a hardware limitation so I do not think Roku can fix it.

Found some of my older MicroSD cards that are much larger but not class 10, they are working ok
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I bought a San disk 16gb and only class 4. Didn’t work in the Roku 3. Both of mine. Worked in my Roku 4. So it’s not just a class thing. It’s also a brand thing. I will try to find a Wintec card online.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I had the same problem on my Roku 4. Removed the card, rebooted and it finally got to home screen. Reinserted the same Sandisk 16gb micro card I've been using. It said unable to mount and I left it in while reading forums, 5 minutes later it said mounted successfully and is working.
We shall see if it lasts.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had same problem tried 64 sandisk didn't work tried samsung didn't work so I thought that's odd so I took the 64GB sandisk and put it in a computer removed formatting so it was RAW no format, but back in Roku, Roku found it asked to format it and good to go probably size overkill but I already had this card. I have seen this with other devices it usually has to do with the formatted cluster size is not supported by a devices OS.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Micro SD problem / Roku 3

I have a Roku 3, and do not see a place to insert the Micro SC card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Micro SD problem / Roku 3

On my Roku 4 there is a slot for it above the HDMI port.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Bacon wrote:
This was a class 10 card. Guess I'm stuck and will have two doll out a few more bucks to buy some ancient **bleep** microsd card. At least I can use this one in any number piece of modern electronics.

Thanks Roku.

I've got 2 with 16 GB class 10 micro SD cards, they're

Never mind. You know best.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same problem as you are. So thank you for posting about it. in reading through the replies I think I have it figured out.

Thanks again,

Old_Man_Ruf

0 Kudos