Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Media player 7/1/20 update

I just saw the Roku media player update. This interface is horrible and has much less functionality than the prior version. Plus, I don’t want all my videos displayed in one long single line. Please go back to the tile display of rows and columns.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Media player 7/1/20 update

The Media Player update adds nothing, changes the graphics, and removes the following features:

- No longer possible to use the system screensaver when audio / music tracks are playing. The Roku Media player "screensaver" for audio / music playback has static elements that will вurn in (permanently damage) on OLED and plasma television screens, and cause image retention on LED screens ("Repeat All" and "Shuffle" buttons).

Update - It's even worse... the Roku Media Player "screensaver" turns off and resets at the start of every new track. Since it only turns on after about 5 minutes, this means that it will hardly run at all... if all tracks are less than 5 minutes in length it will never turn on. It would be highly inadvisable to use the player to play back big music track playlists for long periods of time with a plasma or OLED television. Not a problem at all with the original Roku Media Player. What a sad and unnecessary loss.

- When audio / music is playing, it's no longer possible to seek. You can only press the << or >> buttons to jump ahead or back 30 seconds.

- When you stop playback of an audio track and start playback again, the media player no longer remembers where you left off and starts back at the beginning. I guess people who listen to audio books and pod casts are going to need a pen and paper.

- In List view, track titles are much shorter than they were with the original media player; they only display about 20 to 30 characters. Long titles can no longer be read.

In all, this is a downgrade disguised as an upgrade.

Roku Media Player is the only option for a DLNA client on Roku. Amazon Fire is Android and can sideload apps, so users have choices there. I will be looking into switching.

Highlighted
Level 11

If you can run Plex instead of (or besides) your current DLNA server you might like the roku Plex client better than media player.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It also broke loading large music libraries on all my roku express'.  I have about 12k mp3s. It used to load them fine to enable shuffling my entire library, now it gets to about 20% on the spinning progress wheel and progresses at a crawl, then stalls out entirely!

This is not tested, period. Cant be.

0 Kudos