Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Media Player update causes usb sticks to drop out

So in the last few days 5/12 thru 5/14 My Roku updated the media player app all on it's own.  the new app has a cartoon-ish look in the icon and within the menus this is how I know it changed.  My problem is now when I try to watch mkv files from the USB stick the stick drops out and says connection lost.  This never happened before and I have tried multiple sticks to no avail.  So it is clear the app update broke the app.

Barry

27 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Media Player update causes usb sticks to drop out

Concur totally - same issue and problem. I use multiple USB devices 256GB flash drives, 2 and 4 TB external drives and movies and MKV, MP4 files that I have time out after X number of minutes and have tried on all 3 of our Roku Ultra's (Software Version 9.2.0 build 4807-46. System was fine and worked normally before someone updated and put a timing sequence into the update.

ROKU you need to fix this ASAP... and get an update out to the field.

I am certain there are more people affected then just two of us.

Help!!!

PS. Trying to get in touch with customer support on this has been a unmitigated disaster

Highlighted
Level 8

Hi, I'm using a 4210X (ROKU2) and it works fine until this morning when an update from the media player appeared , I can only see jpg images when try to play MP4 files from an external USB drive.

Highlighted
Level 7

At least your Media Player actually starts. I have a TCL 625 Roku tv and my app just crashes to home screen when i try to start the app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Wow! Read your post... can you play mkv files at Roku???

how !!!????

i have Roku 2 and a usb disk plugged and I’ve never ever be able to play mkv files!!

To be fair the video plays, but no audio.

thx!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

My RMP has backed ver 5 back out and returned to the previous version for now.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Please check the number of channels in the MKV file, sometimes they have six, if so you will have to do a conversion because Roku only plays stereo audio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Exactly, yesterday it went from version 5 to 4.2 and again it works without problems

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Same BS happening with my SSD. This NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE TODAY. Not ONCE in seven years has playback stopped because "the SSD has disconnected". Bloody morons never tested this "new" version under real world load conditions.

Highlighted

Add in the Ultra, as well.

It causes my SanDisk 2TB SSD in an Orico 3.0 housing to drop off. I KNOW the drive is 100%, because I am using it right now to play content through my LG UBK80 4K BD player.

0 Kudos