Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
W19-TAX
Level 7

Major problems since 8.1.0 (3810EU Streaming Stick+)

3810EU - Roku Streaming Stick+ | 8.1.0 • Build 4113-50

Hi All,

After some basic testing and comparing results, myself and other users are heading to a conclusion that ever since the 8.1 update, we’re having similar major issues.

We’re trying our best to narrow down the cause, but at the moment things are pointing to 8.1 or an incompatibility across the board with many apps, live streaming and the 8.1 combined.

So just curious if anyone else if experiencing any of the following issues as we appear to be getting no where towards a fix!

• Amazon Prime UHD now completely unfunctional
(Worked perfectly before 8.1)

• Live streams in apps choppy / juddering to the point of being unwatchable

Example -
Now TV - All live channels that are NOT Sky branded (Gold, Syfy.etc)
Sky News App - the live feed

Any input / help would be appreciated as this really needs to be sorted out as it affects a lot of content (especially if you rely on Now TV!)

If your interested in what’s been discussed so far - we have a thread going on the Now TV forums:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top- ... d-p/468479

As for the Amazon Prime UHD functionality completely disappearing - I’ve attempted a dialogue with Amazon customer services, but that seemed futile after an hour...

Any help appreciated!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Major problems since 8.1.0 (3810EU Streaming Stick+)

"W19-TAX" wrote:
• Amazon Prime UHD now completely unfunctional
(Worked perfectly before 8.1)

You need to discuss this with Amazon support.
As for the NowTV issues, you'll need to contact NowTV support.  That being said, you can PM me your serial number (Settings > System > About), and I'll file a report.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos

I have a model 4660X Roku Ultra and I have never had a problem with it until its software was updated to version 8.1.0 build 4113-46 on the evening of 30 May 2018. One problem I am experiencing is frequent HDCP error messages. Another problem is some channels (e.g., Youtube TV) respond with a black screen and I have to exit and re-enter the channel or sometimes power-cycle my Roku once or twice to get the channel to respond properly.
0 Kudos
shaidar
Level 7

I've got a streaming stick +, plugged into an LG TV (model 42UB820V-ZH) set to 4k (non HDR)

Ever since the 8.1 update have had to switch back to 1080p otherwise I get screen flickering.

Although I have Now TV, I haven't had problems but don't use the Live TV streams.

I don't think it's far to push things back onto Now TV or Amazon (and I know first hand how awful their technical support for their app is). If the only thing that has changed is the roku os version then the problem must be in the thing that has changed. It must be doing something differently. How does Roku handle app compatibility when updating their os?
0 Kudos
pagoola
Level 7

I agree. Ever since the new software update on the Roku Express to 8.1.0, all of my channels have been buffering. The buffering happens every 3-4 seconds of play.

I emailed Roku support and never received an answer.

So far, I have:
Uninstalled and reinstalled my FOUR channels (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Adult Swim)
Restarted the Roku
Checked the router and connection
Checked for updates
Physically unplugged the Roku

My Roku is practically unusable. I have tried watching these channels through my phone and laptop, and it's definitely NOT the channels.

Is there a way to go back to the older version or Roku can make an update that will actually work?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"pagoola" wrote:
So far, I have:
Uninstalled and reinstalled my FOUR channels (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Adult Swim)
Restarted the Roku...

The order is wrong. Here's the correct order:

1. Uninstall

2. Reboot

3. Reinstall

Don't know if that will fix the issue, but unless it's done in that order, that troubleshooting step hasn't been completed properly.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
BassProCM
Level 7

I have a Roku TV (TCL p607) with 8.1.0 build 4139 updated on July 18. Since that update I’ve encountered unexpected behavior. In particular it appears that a bug was introduced with the way device capabilities (hdr, resolution, etc) are handshaked via HDMI. Since the Roku TV self-updated, my Apple TV continually defaults to HDR instead of Dolby Vision, and resolutions / frame rates / hdr compatibility is forgotten; the Apple TV behaves as if it never connected to the TV before. Note that the software version on the Apple TV has not changed since long before the Roku TV update.

Does anyone know how I can submit this bug to the Roku TV development team? This seems like a good place to start. Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
tbird635
Level 7

I am having similar issues with playback. 
Sorry to interrupt this thread, but around the time of this 8.1 update (end of May)  seems to be when my issues started. 

After the 8.1 update,  I have playback issues I never had. Buffering, lost signal, etc...  I checked my Roku's signal strength in the system menu. It went from excellent  to poor after the update.
The interesting thing is the router's wifi  page shows a good signal coming from the Roku. This may be related I'm thinking.

I was wondering , does your Roku's wifi signal strength / connection show as good or poor like mine? My Roku is within a few feet of the router.
Thanks for your time.
Bruce
0 Kudos
schexnailder
Level 7

I have 3 roku 3's and one roku stick and since the update to 8.1.0 on July 17th, 2018, we can't keep the remotes connected. My phone app still works, but the 4 handheld remotes won't stay connected. I can reboot the units and then re-pair the remotes and they will work for a short period and then won't connect to the roku. I have reset the units, but still having problems. I know there is an issue with this update because my units were working fine and then after the update they are ALL giving me problems in exact same way. At times I do have issues with apps not loading and getting the black screen, but those are not consistent. Any ideas? How can I submit this to roku? And will that even help?
0 Kudos