Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Level 8

Major issues with 8.1 on a Premiere+ (2016 model)

To any ROKU staff / engineers who read these posts:

I am posting a short video of the condition of a perfectly stable ROKU Premiere+ after being updated to OS 8.1 build 4113 from 8.0.1 build 4090.
Please take note that the only user interaction on my part here is moving the D pad buttons.  Any unusual  behavior  such as channels loading closing, etc is being done by the unit itself.

Originally, I thought it was just a sleep bug the update introduce as the unit no longer would go to sleep at the designated wait time.  Then I turned the TV on last night to see what was really going on, and caught this on video.  My first thoughts were failing hardware, and then possibly broken software.  Here is the video for reference below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag0lpNIhUhA

I wanted to get as much information as possible, without making the video too long.  There was a point it was toggling between the screen saver images and the home scree on it's own, that I wasn't able to catch in full.
One other thing to note, I have disconnected the Premiere+, and put my 2016 black streaming stick in it's place to confirm, it wasn't something else in my setup causing conflicts, and as expected that device has been stable.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Major issues with 8.1 on a Premiere+ (2016 model)

When reporting issues ...

I need Serial Number and other information.  I can't report the issue without more information.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

Re: Major issues with 8.1 on a Premiere+ (2016 model)

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
When reporting issues ...

I need Serial Number and other information.  I can't report the issue without more information.

Hi Shawn, do you have an email I can send a screen shot to of the information you requested?  I haven't found an easy way to attach images to the forum without a remote URL.
0 Kudos
jpav80
Level 7

Re: Major issues with 8.1 on a Premiere+ (2016 model)

My unit (same model) is doing something pretty similar.  On two occasions after the update I found my unit with the weird graphical issue when changing to the Roku input on my TV.  First I unplugged it and restarted it which immediately fixed the issue.  It happened again a day or so later and I only did a successful software reboot which makes me feel like this is a software issue and not hardware.  
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: Major issues with 8.1 on a Premiere+ (2016 model)

"jpav80" wrote:
My unit (same model) is doing something pretty similar.  On two occasions after the update I found my unit with the weird graphical issue when changing to the Roku input on my TV.  First I unplugged it and restarted it which immediately fixed the issue.  It happened again a day or so later and I only did a successful software reboot which makes me feel like this is a software issue and not hardware.  

You saw the response by RokuShawnS to the earlier issue? You might want to do the same thing.
"RokuShawnS" wrote:
When reporting issues ...

I need Serial Number and other information.  I can't report the issue without more information.

Most of the info can be found via Settings > System > About. Just look at the info on the screen and type in in your response to Roku.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

Re: Major issues with 8.1 on a Premiere+ (2016 model)

"Basil" wrote:
"jpav80" wrote:
My unit (same model) is doing something pretty similar.  On two occasions after the update I found my unit with the weird graphical issue when changing to the Roku input on my TV.  First I unplugged it and restarted it which immediately fixed the issue.  It happened again a day or so later and I only did a successful software reboot which makes me feel like this is a software issue and not hardware.  

You saw the response by RokuShawnS to the earlier issue? You might want to do the same thing.
"RokuShawnS" wrote:
When reporting issues ...

I need Serial Number and other information.  I can't report the issue without more information.

Most of the info can be found via Settings > System > About. Just look at the info on the screen and type in in your response to Roku.

I sent Shawn  a PM containing a link to a picture of my ROKU info.  I wasn't sure how to keep it private so I posted it as a private picture on my Flickr account and shared the link with him in a PM.  When I tested the link on my end, it worked so I hope he got it.  I also included the TV model in the PM, and the fact I rolled back the OS to get my unit stable again, but gave him the version and build number of the release that was doing this.
0 Kudos