Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheIcon
Level 7

Lutron Maestro Occupancy Switch and ROKU

So I have a weird occurrence I was wondering if anyone else had or knew why.  I have a Lutron Maestro Occupancy Switch in my kitchen.  Motion sensored kind of light switch for those that are not familiar.  I walk into the kitchen the light comes on. I leave the kitchen 30sec later the light goes off.

So what does this have to do with ROKU. Well when my ROKU device is on in my bedroom the kitchen lights will not go off.  They remain on.  As soon as you turn off the ROKU device. 30 sec later the Kitchen lights turn off. 

Any idea what could cause this?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Lutron Maestro Occupancy Switch and ROKU

"TheIcon" wrote:
So I have a weird occurrence I was wondering if anyone else had or knew why.  I have a Lutron Maestro Occupancy Switch in my kitchen.  Motion sensored kind of light switch for those that are not familiar.  I walk into the kitchen the light comes on. I leave the kitchen 30sec later the light goes off.

So what does this have to do with ROKU. Well when my ROKU device is on in my bedroom the kitchen lights will not go off.  They remain on.  As soon as you turn off the ROKU device. 30 sec later the Kitchen lights turn off. 

What model Roku are we talking about? Some players have a WiFI remote, so the wireless is always on. Perhaps that's interfering with your switch. Some Roku players only have an IR remote, but they would still have their wireless enabled (only the Ultra has an Ethernet jack), although in a different mode. Your switch might just be sensitive to RF. You might try moving the Roku a few inches one way or another. At WiFi frequencies, the wavelength size is quite small, and a small movement might help. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TheIcon
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"TheIcon" wrote:

What model Roku are we talking about? Some players have a WiFI remote, so the wireless is always on. Perhaps that's interfering with your switch. Some Roku players only have an IR remote, but they would still have their wireless enabled (only the Ultra has an Ethernet jack), although in a different mode. Your switch might just be sensitive to RF. You might try moving the Roku a few inches one way or another. At WiFi frequencies, the wavelength size is quite small, and a small movement might help. 

It is the ROKU Streaming Stick+   I think it is model 3810.
Must admit it is the craziest thing.  I was playing with the light switch over two days trying to determine why it wouldn't go out and dawn on me one night that every night when my wife and I go to bed as soon as we turn the TV/ROKU off the light goes off. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Do you power the Stick from the TV's USB port, or are you using the wall adapter that came with the Stick? I ask because if you are using the wall adapter, then the Stick is never actually powered off, and that would point more towards the TV as a possible source of the interference. If you are using the TV as the power source, then switch to the wall adapter and see if the issue continues. Sometimes using the TV as the power source can cause issues, although I've certainly not heard of this particular one. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TheIcon
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Do you power the Stick from the TV's USB port, or are you using the wall adapter that came with the Stick? I ask because if you are using the wall adapter, then the Stick is never actually powered off, and that would point more towards the TV as a possible source of the interference. If you are using the TV as the power source, then switch to the wall adapter and see if the issue continues. Sometimes using the TV as the power source can cause issues, although I've certainly not heard of this particular one. 

It is using the TV as the power source.  Its not a huge deal considering we only use it at night before bedtime. We have 2 young kids. Our days of sitting around watching TV are far and few Smiley Happy Smiley LOL  So really its just an issue for an hour at night.  Its almost like having a fancy remote. Turn the ROKU off and the TV goes off and the lights in the house go off Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Wow, strange situation.  Are those Lutron switches the Passive Infra Red switches?  Next thing I would try is at the end of the night to unplug ONLY the Roku USB power from the TV, leaving the TV on.  Does the light then turn off after 30 seconds?  Is the bedroom in any way near line of sight to the kitchen?  My only thought is that IR from the TV is somehow leaking into the Kitchen causing the switch to stay on...  What if, with everything on, you close the bedroom door?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"twiceover" wrote:
Wow, strange situation.  Are those Lutron switches the Passive Infra Red switches?  Next thing I would try is at the end of the night to unplug ONLY the Roku USB power from the TV, leaving the TV on.  Does the light then turn off after 30 seconds?  Is the bedroom in any way near line of sight to the kitchen?  My only thought is that IR from the TV is somehow leaking into the Kitchen causing the switch to stay on...  What if, with everything on, you close the bedroom door?

But the TV doesn't have an IR emitter, so I don't think that could be the issue. But some other sort of wireless emission from the TV is certainly a possibility, which is why I suggested powering the Roku separately from the TV. But your method would accomplish the same thing, just turning them off in a different order. So try it either way, and let us know what happens. 
Dan
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

If you look on the switch (under the plate or guts side - in the box), there might be some dip switches to change the channel. The corresponding switches would be in the remote - battery compartment would be the place to look.

Lutron is a good switch and most good switches have a means to deal with congestion or interference.

Edit:

The exact Owner's Manual may come in handy, but if this is the correct one there are no channel options that I saw with a glance:
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/048459.pdf
There are other programming options that you may facilitate to help in some way (perhaps disabling what's disturbing ya). I briefly saw a 'clipping/sensitivity' adjustment. Have no idea, but it sounds good.
It is also possible that changing the location of the 'master' (in a 3-way situation) to the other box may help.

Depending on how much you want that fancy switch - you could spend more money and get another type, but I can tell ya a fancy switch is probably going to cost more than a new remote. The fancy switch can be replaced with your basic, boring bog standard switch ($.79 at Home Depot)... as a last resort (what? get up to turn on/off the light? am I crazy?).
0 Kudos
TheIcon
Level 7

I will def tinker with it this weekend to see.  Never had the issue before with the TV when I had comcast until a few months ago when I dropped them and went with the ROKU stick so figured it was that.  Its not a big deal but found it odd and funny and wondered if anyone else had the same issue or heard of similar.  Smiley Happy  Thanks all. Ill let you know my findings. 
0 Kudos