Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stabloid16
Level 7

Looking to buy Roku Express *UK*

I hope I am not overstepping the mark here.
I am looking at buying a Roku Express (I am in UK, and have a limited budget).
I am trying to find out if the device will adequately support the apps/channels etc I wish to use.
I know that it can support each of the apps I am looking at, but unable to determine if it can support all of them being installed at the same time. ie. internal memory size.
The apps:
Netflix
All 4
ITV Player
BBC iPlayer
YouTube
Amazon Prime/Video
Now TV
A streaming app beginning with K which I only use with 1 add on.

I currently have an Amazon Fire TV box with all except Now TV supported.
Is it worth getting the Roku Express, or shall I just pair my Fire TV with an additional Now TV stick?

Also, any known issues with current versions of these apps?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Looking to buy Roku Express *UK*

Roku doesn't care how many channels/apps are on your account. It won't overload the storage because when the on-board storage gets full, it removes less-used apps from the device and downloads it again when needed. Generally speaking, it keeps your most recently used apps on board and drops the oldest (in terms of last used) if needed to load another app. By the way, the Roku Streaming Stick+ does the same thing. In fact, all Roku devices do that, except for those that support and have installed an SD card. Even then, the largest amount of SD card space used is 2 GB.

The Express has 512 MB of RAM and 256 MB on on-board storage. That's the same as a Roku 3, and, in fact, as much as any Roku device had up to the release of the Roku 4 in late 2015.

It's unlikely you'd experience any issues with a Roku Express.

Having said that, if you are happy with your Fire TV device, and the £15 Now TV Stick would be half the price of the £30 Roku Express, if having two devices isn't an inconvenience, you'd save money and achieve the same goal with the Now TV Stick. The question becomes "is it worth the extra £15 to have it all on a single device?"
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Stabloid16
Level 7

Thank you for the reply.

The extra is worth it, as the bedroom TV only has one HDMI port, and even more remotes on my bedside table would be a PITA.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

If you're talking a single TV setup, then, yes, I certainly understand that a single device is much preferred.

If you're talking a multiple TV setup, you may want to get a single Express to start with and see if you're happy with the performance on the bedroom TV. With no more apps than you've listed, you shouldn't have any trouble. Still, if you're talking multiple TVs (and the single HDMI limit isn't applicable on the other TV) you might want to try it on a single TV to start, then get another if you're happy with the performance.

Happy streaming!
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos