Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljlchicago
Level 7

Local channel "favorites"

I have an TCL Roku TV. I watch a lot of local television with an antenna. When I first set up the TV, there was no channel guide and I had to select a channel by arrowing up or down until I found the appropriate channel. About a month ago, a channel guide was added, which was fine. But a few days ago, the channel guide decided which channels were my favorite, which only consists about 1/4 of the stations I would call favorites. I can find no way to add channels to the favorite list. I can find no place to go for help. I finally found a way to get to *all* channels, but can't select a channel from the *all* channel option. As a result, either TCL or Roku, or both, are allowing me only to select from about six channels. Help me please!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
staylor21
Level 7

Re: Local channel "favorites"

I agree.  I used to be able to add a Favorite channel with a heart now I don't have that option.  That was helpful because most of the over the air channels I don't watch.  Roku needs to bring this option back.  This must have been a recent change because I was able to do this a few weeks ago.
blade_005
Level 10

This happened with the update from OS 7.7 to OS 8.0 and the addition of Smart Grid Guide feature. It now watches which channels you view / tune the most and then dynamically shifts them to the top of your Grid Guide under Favorites.

Not an ideal or optimal solution in my opinion. It may be nice to have this as an option, but I would much prefer the ability to go in and mark my Favorite channels and have them at the top of the Grid Guide.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

You can completely disable the "favorites" feature by going into Setings/TV Inputs/Antenna TV/Favorite Channels.
Your channel listing will then appear as in 7.7
blade_005
Level 10

"RokuDale" wrote:
You can completely disable the "favorites" feature by going into Setings/TV Inputs/Antenna TV/Favorite Channels.
Your channel listing will then appear as in 7.7

That will give you a numerical Grid Listing, but still no ability to manually mark your favorite channels.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
nataharli
Level 7

It amazes me how companies can have something that works well and then decide they don't like the user having control and they take over control of a function. Setting favorites on local channels is a perfect example. Another example I can think of off the top of my head is newer automobiles that decide to lock the doors for you automatically. I am perfectly capable of locking all the doors if I want them locked.

Anyway, I don't watch local channels that often and the channels Roku has decided are my "favorites" are definitely NOT my favorites. Just because I happened to tune in to a local station to catch the news periodically does not mean I want this station to be one of my "favorites".

Please give us back to functionality to determine our own destinies. I know me a lot better than you know me.
nataharli
Level 7

It amazes me how companies can have something that works well and then decide they don't like the user having control and they take over control of a function. Setting favorites on local channels is a perfect example. Another example I can think of off the top of my head is newer automobiles that decide to lock the doors for you automatically. I am perfectly capable of locking all the doors if I want them locked.

Anyway, I don't watch local channels that often and the channels Roku has decided are my "favorites" are definitely NOT my favorites. Just because I happened to tune in to a local station to catch the news periodically does not mean I want this station to be one of my "favorites".

Please give us back to functionality to determine our own destinies. I know me a lot better than you know me.
0 Kudos

I agree that not having the option to select your own channels as favorites for antenna kinda sucks, but as mentioned in another reply, you can go turn off this feature completely. You may also choose to hide all the channels you don’t watch so that you don’t have to scroll through all the main and auxiliary channels. But with the picture quality of this TV, the price, and the capability to have a 90 minute DVR for your antenna when you add a USB drive, this TV is well worth the money.
0 Kudos
Mechee79
Level 7

This drive me crazy for weeks. Finally a solution!
0 Kudos