Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CRAGG
Level 7

Loading Apps on New Roku IN ORDER

Hello All,

We are an avid Roku user (and also developer). We have 800+ Roku apps on our streaming box and love them all! However, with so many apps and such diverse content, it helps us to move and organize our Roku apps into categories. When we add additional Roku channels, we will move the channels on the screen so that all of the radio apps are together, all of the streaming video apps are together, all of the news apps are together, etc etc because it just makes it easier for us to find stuff. This is where my question comes in...

Is there anyway (whether it's a formal way or some special trick someone knows) to load all of your apps on a new Roku in the same order they were on an old Roku?

For example, our 800+ apps are organized the way I like them right now. When/if we get a new Roku unit (when upgrading), once you enter your login credentials, the Roku will automatically download all of the app/channels we subscribe to. But it downloads them in a random order and does not download them and put them on the new Roku in the same categorized order that we had placed them on our old Roku unit. Is there any way to have the new Roku download the apps in the SAME ORDER and screen placement as what we had on our previous Roku unit?

Any tips, tricks, or advise would be helpful. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Loading Apps on New Roku IN ORDER

Currently, no. This is an oft-repeated request however.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"CRAGG" wrote:
We have 800+ Roku apps

Thanks!

Must...resist...obvious...answer...
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
"CRAGG" wrote:
We have 800+ Roku apps

Thanks!

Hah. I was going to post something similar.

800 Apps is kinda absurd - with that many, it's faster to find the less-often used apps in the channel store, add them, and watch that way. What content could you possibly be watching on 800 different channels?
0 Kudos
CRAGG
Level 7

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
"CRAGG" wrote:
We have 800+ Roku apps

Thanks!

Hah. I was going to post something similar.

800 Apps is kinda absurd - with that many, it's faster to find the less-often used apps in the channel store, add them, and watch that way. What content could you possibly be watching on 800 different channels?

I appreciate the rep from Roku who was to the point and actually answered my question but for the others who commented here, please don't pass judgement on my viewing habits. A simple yes or no was sufficient.

As far as judgmental users saying my addition of 800+ plus channels is absurd, what might be overkill to one is a hobby to another. I see how others may be satisfied with a few sports or news channels but as a Roku app developer I have a wide and varied interest in what others are doing in streaming video & radio channels.

I can't use the store on my Roku 4 box to launch apps because some are private apps and not listed in the Roku store. Equally, I have no problem whatsoever finding apps if I organize my home screen in categories...thus my post. If I need to, I use the "My Channels" app which remembers recently visited/favorites scrolling horizontally in a SINGLE row rather then wide rows of 3 up & down. I have no problem finding apps. I just prefer to organize them... as it is your right not to.

I am an Apple TV user and even with their new open source platform their selection does NOT match that of the Roku and clearly the Roku officials see it that way too or my question would not have been an OFTEN REQUESTED feature like the other response pointed out.

Certainly Roku wouldn't have made the memory expansion slot and sold a card in their accessory store if they expected everyone to download only a handful of apps. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

The point is, almost all of your apps either duplicate others content-wise, or have so few videos that never update that you can watch them in one session and then delete.

You wanted a suggestion, you got one. Take it or leave it. That's why I did not give you a "serious" reply at first. You just think people are judging you. The often repeated request is also asked by people with 50 apps. I believe you are the first that admitted you have over 500, let alone over 800.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
CRAGG
Level 7

So now you think you know WHAT apps I have and their content? Perhaps I don't watch their so called limited content in one session? I go back to them when I want to finish them and they are there for me. Gee what a concept! Once again however this is NONE of your business. Also many of my apps are live streaming NOT curated. Others have hundreds of movies which you can NOT watch in one session. Not all app developers ignore updating their content. We have a couple for instance that changes daily and weekly. You sure sound like a bitter disgruntled bitchy Roku user to me. Maybe you should get an Aople TV?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"CRAGG" wrote:
So now you think you know WHAT apps I have and their content? Perhaps I don't watch their so called limited content in one session? I go back to them when I want to finish them and they are there for me. Gee what a concept! Once again however this is NONE of your business. Also many of my apps are live streaming NOT curated. Others have hundreds of movies which you can NOT watch in one session. Not all app developers ignore updating their content. We have a couple for instance that changes daily and weekly. You sure sound like a bitter disgruntled bitchy Roku user to me. Maybe you should get an Aople TV?

Actually, the two users are long-time Roku users, and, like me, generally happy with the device. They really aren't trying to get you to change your viewing habits, or channel lineup. They are good folks and will help you any way they can.

You see at the bottom of your first post where you said "Any tips, tricks, or advice would be helpful?" They took that literally, I suspect. What they are offering is the same advice I'd offer any new Roku user: go slow, start with a handful of channels, add only one or two at a time, and periodically remove channels you don't use.

It's rare that someone would get good use out of more than a dozen or two channels, and even rarer to get good use out of hundreds. Rare, but not impossible. If you're that rare person, then great. But that doesn't change the advice to new users.

Don't get upset with them. They're offering advice.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
23rdDjin
Level 7

to a not new user, and channel developer to boot. don't people actually read threads and posts fully anymore? it's bad enough so often people post their opinions and claim them as facts while either outright insulting a poster, or the more common passive/aggressive swipes followed up by the disingenuous defense "they're not judging you" when it's plain as the nose on ones face that they are.

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
CRAGG
Level 7

Thanks 23rdDjin.

I equally got a direct message from Roku who said and I quote :

"That's a lot of channels! We think you should add as many as you'd like. Smiley Happy"
0 Kudos